Second Skin Audio

Impedience Rise.

Hope this is in the right section. If not mods please move.

I curious to know if there are any tricks to lowering impedience rise. Im refering to box mods amp mods. Pretty much any thing that will lower my impedience rise. Or is it all in how the box is built, and if so what qualities of the box make it not rise so much.

In return EYE CANDY!

Alison_Angel05.jpg

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Escape

Head Unit: Kenwood Kdc-x592

All out for a rebuild.

New shit coming in the next 30 days.

teamsundown3hx1.jpg

A couple things that I have found that will combat rise are spliting the load between 2 or more amps, more box volume equals less rise, and usually lower amounts of port area offer up less rise as well. Take that into consideration when you are building your box. A smaller box will be able to handle a larger amp due to the more impedence rise that it offers. A larger box is a more efficient box that will get louder on less power and will cause damage to woofers at high power if you aren't careful.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

A couple things that I have found that will combat rise are spliting the load between 2 or more amps, more box volume equals less rise, and usually lower amounts of port area offer up less rise as well. Take that into consideration when you are building your box. A smaller box will be able to handle a larger amp due to the more impedence rise that it offers. A larger box is a more efficient box that will get louder on less power and will cause damage to woofers at high power if you aren't careful.

X2

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

Im not realy worried about damaging the subs due to the fact that Im not running near the power they can take.

If IM right you have to have an amp clamp, a dmm, and do some equations to get impedience right? Or can I just get it using my dmm?

All out for a rebuild.

teamsundown3hx1.jpg

Im not realy worried about damaging the subs due to the fact that Im not running near the power they can take.

If IM right you have to have an amp clamp, a dmm, and do some equations to get impedience right? Or can I just get it using my dmm?

Correct you need an AC clamp meter and a dmm. You will need to measure the AC voltage output going to each of your subs or if they're bridged just the wires going into the amp. Once you get the AC voltage you will need to find the AC current. You do this by clamping the negative wire going to the set of speakers. I'll give you an example.

You clamp your wire and get 38.6 amps of current

You probe the + & - wires and get 61.7 volts

Next you would take the 61.7 volts and multiply the 38.6 by it to find your MAX power which would be 2381 watts

Next to find out your impedence rise you would divide the voltage 61.7 by the amperage 38.6 which would be 1.59 ohms

So if you were to have a nominal or starting resistance of .5 ohms you would have a rise of 1.09 ohms, but would have an overall reactive load of 1.59 ohms

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Ok cool. Thanks for the explanation makes more sence now. basicaly just use ohms law. I have a cheap centech 7 function dmm. Is there any cheap alternative to a clamp meter? Like I know you cna use an old analog amp guage of of an old tractor or hot rod and such to get your amp reading. Would this work at all?

All out for a rebuild.

teamsundown3hx1.jpg

IMO get some good grounding in SPL before you start worrying about things like impedance rise.

Although a big box with a small port will have less impedance rise so the amp makes more power, a small box with a huge port will be much more efficient and will probably achieve a similar SPL but with much less demand on your sub, amp and electrical system BECAUSE of the impedance rise.

Impedance rise isn't always a bad thing.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!