Second Skin Audio

Getting Subs To Hit All Notes From 20hz+

Hey, guys i have a couple questions

My 1st question is, is there a way to get your sub(s) to play all if not most of the notes from 20hz up? Im talking about if there's a full system, (HU, Inter-spkr amp, Sub amp, n sub(s)) is there any specific way to do this?

2nd question is, if a sub box is tuned to 32hz, what frequencies will the box play really well, pretty well, and not good at all? Also how does setting the low pass on the sub amp affect this? What would be the differences if i set the low pass to 20 or to 35?

Thanks in advance guys! :hi:

-Kandu

CURRENTLY UNDER RE-CONSTRUCTION

2008 Hyundai Sonata

Team T3 Audio

Team Deadly Hertz

Team SMD (Street Motivated Devastation)

Chariot.gif

I am guessing you want a flat frequecy response form 20hz up to your crossover point 80hz?

The ability of a sub to play all those frequencies well is a tuning issue more than a capability issue.

I think most ported boxes peak at about 5 hz higher than their tune. And drop off below the tuning hz. mine is a 38 hz tune, and seems to peak in the low 40's.

I am sure some of the experts will chime in here with better answers for you.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

I am guessing you want a flat frequecy response form 20hz up to your crossover point 80hz?

The ability of a sub to play all those frequencies well is a tuning issue more than a capability issue.

I think most ported boxes peak at about 5 hz higher than their tune. And drop off below the tuning hz. mine is a 38 hz tune, and seems to peak in the low 40's.

I am sure some of the experts will chime in here with better answers for you.

yeah, I am looking for a flat response but it more from a 28hz+ to 80hz if that's possible. if that's the case that ported boxes peak about 5hz higher then their tuning frequency, should i go w/ a sealed box?

2008 Hyundai Sonata

Team T3 Audio

Team Deadly Hertz

Chariot.gif

If im interpreting it right your asking how to hit 20hz+, My box is tuned to 24ish hz and it hits from 20hz+

What kind of sub are you running, and in what kind of enclosure. That sounds ridiculous; that's is basically what im looking for. does it hit well on the higher notes?

2008 Hyundai Sonata

Team T3 Audio

Team Deadly Hertz

Chariot.gif

a 4rth order bandpass?

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

Its a DD9515 in a 3cuft box with 3 4in ports, the lows are powerful and the highs are good, i don't know how high i can go since my LPF is set at 50. The box will be rebuilt soon but it will still get 25hz tuned. ive had 43, 35, 32, and then i used 25 and like it the most. i seen you said from 28hz+ above, with 25 it hits well, all the slowed songs i play are great.

Edited by infkt

Its a DD9515 in a 3cuft box with 3 4in ports, the lows are powerful and the highs are good, i don't know how high i can go since my LPF is set at 50. The box will be rebuilt soon but it will still get 25hz tuned. ive had 43, 35, 32, and then i used 25 and like it the most. i seen you said from 28hz+ above, with 25 it hits well, all the slowed songs i play are great.

I don't believe it will hit the highs as well as say, a DDBox (40hz, 16" port)

I've had my 9515 in boxes tuned from 29hz through to 62hz.

In the 29hz box yes, it was very musical and could 'play' any note but the output was about 6db (!!!) down on what it played when tuned to ~40hz. Tuning higher than that I only gained more of a spike at a particular note.

IMO around 28hz is the lowest you'll ever need to play (unless you play a lot of C&S) and below that I reckon you're just risking damaging your woofers.

In car response tends to extend at least a few hz below tuned frequency (especially if you load the woofers and port against something) which is why I can't ever see a need to tune below about 32hz unless you're going for ultra SQ or competing in the UK PD format.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!