Another Format

here is what we are considering

• The added element of frequency is factored into the score.

• Installation is used to determine if the fundamental elements of good aftermarket installation are followed.

• Similar to the Bass Race format with the added aspects of installation and points awarded for lower tuned systems.

• This format makes everyday low tuned vehicles become competitive with even extreme vehicles, have a look.

Classes are:

• Wall

• No wall

General Rules

• Only music shall be used during competition. Songs incorporating profanity are prohibited.

• commercially available music may be used for metering

• Either door (drivers or passengers) must remain completely OPEN during the competition. All other doors, windows, hatches, and sunroofs may be opened or closed at the contestant's discretion. This is a spectator driven competition and they want to hear it.

• The vehicle's engine may be running during the competition.

• Competitors may sit inside their vehicle up to 140 dB any louder and they must remain outside their vehicle when competing.

• Factory seats or equivalent must remain in the vehicle during the competition.

• Factory panels in front of the B-pillar may be custom built but equivalent in size and function and may not be built out more than 2” more than the factory panel.

• Stock windows in front of the B-pillar can be replaced as long as stock equivalent viewing area remains

• String test will be required for all classes

Equipment

• Audio equipment must be designed for use in auto sound applications. This includes source units, signal processors, amplifiers, speakers, but does not include interconnects.

• Video decks, mp3 players, etc. are permitted.

• All of the equipment must be powered by the 12-16 volt electrical system in the vehicle.

• Only 12 or 16 volt batteries may be used. Two 8 volt batteries in series to produce a 16 volt setup is permitted.

• All equipment must be permanently installed within the vehicle and shall not interfere with the normal use of the passenger compartment. (The area in front of the B-pillars.)

• Custom installs are legal as long as it does not interfere with the operation of the vehicle.

Competition

• Each vehicle shall be metered individually or in pairs depending on time. It is the judges discretion.

• Every contestant may run their vehicle through a minimum of 2 to try and improve their leader board score until

the end of the show when scoring chances will end.

• Contestants shall be awarded a comprehensive score after each run which consists of the contestant's measured SPL + Frequency scores (see below for SPL and Frequency judging details).

• The contestant's highest comprehensive score shall be retained.

• The contestant's highest comprehensive score shall be added to the contestant's installation score to determine the contestant's overall score. (See below for installation judging details.)

Installation Judging(May be removed at a later date but it should not be hard to meet these requirements)

Points shall be added for each of the following...

• Appropriate power wire size for amplifiers

Power wire(s) fused within 24 inches of the car batteries if it passes through a ground.(firewall, floor, frame etc…..)

• Aftermarket front stage speakers & Amplifiers

• All equipment installed safe and secure.

• No bare wood showing.

Maximum Score (Installation): 50 points

SPL Judging

• The Term-LAB meter may be used only.

• The SPL score will be calculated based on the SPL averaged over a period of 30 seconds combined with the frequency score.

• The microphone shall be located in the standard dB Drag location.

• Frequency score is determined from the averaged peak note during the run. One point will be added to the final score for every frequency note under 80Hz.

For Example: 80Hz=0 points

79Hz=1 point

78Hz=2 points

77Hz=3 points

76Hz=4 points

75Hz=5 points

20Hz=60 points

etc....

Maximum Score (SPL): Unlimited

Maximum peak Frequency score: 60 points

The peak Frequency and SPL scores will be computed simultaneously. Keep in mind you MUST USE MUSIC like you do in Bass Race.

Examples: Providing the vehicles scores are the same on the installation aspect (Yes, the extreme would have to have front speakers installed, seats AND have drivers door open) here is the SPL breakdown from three vehicles.

The Extreme vehicle averages 173dB for 173 SPL points + a note of @ 63Hz for 17 points .............................= 190 points

The Stock cab and Walled vehicle(Bass Racer) 155dB for 155 SPL points + a note of 43Hz for 37 points .............................= 192 points

The Completely Stock Non-walled(CRX) (with a 6 cube ported box tuned to 27 Hz and two 12's) 143dB for 143 SPL points + a note of 33Hz for 47 points .............................= 190 points

So you can see the normal top vehicles today with the exception of the CRX and the low tuned enclosure hit approx the same score so this will essentially remove the need for more than one class but to make it even tighter competition two classes are used due to different effects with the drivers door open on walled and non walled applications. Daily Driven vehicles CAN be competitive with Current Extreme vehicles and this format that I have tested shows this!!!! Over time as people build specifically for this format and rules can be adjusted to keep it competitive.

Questions:

What will happen in a Tie breaker? The Tie breaker round will only count for the tie breaker. People who are tied will get metered again, the vehicle with the highest metering (spl and freq) will win.

rip this apart and help me improve it. I am thinking highly about adding this at AR

later

Doug

sonicfx.jpgWEST COAST HOME OF THE SPLMAXCUPstocktonsplsig34.JPG

looks good

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

I like it 'cept for the "no bare wood" part, and that is only because I am on such a tight budget I really can't afford carpet or vinyl. or does paint count as a covering?

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

Pioneer DEH-P2900MP, Big 3 done in 1/0, 1 run 1/0 ran to amp

DAT HF1000.1 #007 powering a DC lvl4 15

DAT HR 4085 prototype powering 2 Selenium 6s and 2 no name tweeters running active

1st place in AS3 @ Surf City Sound Off, 140.8 @ 45hz @ the headrest.

rebuild coming soon to get a better score :)

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven of afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people who are afraid of the dark."

why not try this

divide the SPL ( of music being played ) by the peak "note" or frequency to get a score

example

a 145dB ( with music ) with a peak frequency of 50hz would be a score of 2.9

while a 140dB ( with music ) with a peak frequency of 30hz would be a score of 4.66 ( more impressive )

I have a chart for all this as a format I was looking into awhile back

Basically, the louder the lower frequency's played is, the higher the score.

We all know its harder to produce SPL with lower frequency's

Example: which is more impressive? 180dB@80hz ( score of 2.25 ) or a 140dB@30hz ( score of 4.66 ). IMO, the 140dB one is.

See you in the lanes,

dBSteve

www.midwestspl.com

2.jpg

wow wow buddy

these are the rules that DB DON came up with

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

Example: which is more impressive? 180dB@80hz ( score of 2.25 ) or a 140dB@30hz ( score of 4.66 ). IMO, the 140dB one is.

That is since I can do a 140@30hz all day long. 180 db's is impressive no matter what frequency it's played at. If your not impressed with a 180 period then there's something wrong. 140's @ 30hz isn't hard to achieve and can be done with a single woofer in most situations and very little power.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

yes they are.. we are trying to intergrate them into Psyclone but this will be the start without the RTA feature added yet. I talked to Don and he would like us to try these at our shows to help promote the sport of car audio competition.

later

Doug

sonicfx.jpgWEST COAST HOME OF THE SPLMAXCUPstocktonsplsig34.JPG