Need An Alarm For The Mini

I am not the guy to figure out the differences, maybe Shyne will chime in here or Bangin Caddy knows.

I started off wanting the older color remote, then learned about the problems they had; then I looked at the new models and decided I did not want to spend that much.

Like you, I wanted the 5002, but when I found out it did not have the SST, I looked at the 5900. I skipped the remote start on mine, I would never use it. I had difficulty figuring out the install on my own, so a installer/friend did the actual connections, I just ran the wires, and installed the sensors and the antenna on the windshield.

I have less than $250 invested in my 5900, and have had it working for 2 weeks now, and it is great!

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

yea i dont want the color remote, and if i go with the blue remote, ill run the 5900 so i have the SST. but i may just run the new 5901, but i dont want to get that (new model and all) and then have problems. i havent had any problems with my 791xv (pretty much same thing as ur 5900, but without the SST) on my explorer, and its been installed for years and i love that alarm. i think i might just run the 5900...unless someone changes my mind about the 5901.

Posted Image

HOW MUCH????? that one that's on the left looks SICK.

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

Theres no problems that Im aware off with the color remotes.

Only problems that currently reside with directed remote start only units is that something with the programming will allow the car to automaticlly start, and this is only on the avital remote starters. We had to reprogram a few ourselfs with the bit-writer and it somewhat fixed the problem, but directeds still looking for a real fix.

I run a 791xv on my cadillac, pretty much same thing as the viper 5902,Matrix 50.5X, Python 990, except theres a smaller range on the remote.

Only problem Ive had with mine is that I drop my keys alot, this takes a toll on the remote, and I broke a remote in the past where something broke off the board and made my keyfob not work, but that was caused from dropping my keys.

The lc3 alarm adds some different features, such as it will tell you your vehilces interior temp (so if you remotely started your car on a cold day and want that interior to be nice and toasty before you get into your car to goto work or wherever you will know when its all nice and toasty for you.

The responder lc3 is going to most likely take over the 2 way pagers that are used on the 5901,5902,50.5, 990.

The HD with the color screen, Im not sure on anything.

I have had one on order for about 2 months now and just last weak directed canceled my order, and took it off our shipment list for the shop. I got no idea on the price yea either but I figure around 400$ (not installed), $650ish installed (depending on vehicle and if any resistors are needed for parking lights or door locks, and if any xpresskits are needed.

As far as any other prices Im not aware of off the top of my head since I cant access directedealers.com from my home pc.

I also want to add

that the HD color remote, and I think the LC3 have no changable battery like past units that run off a triple a battery.

They have an internal battery, with a minu usb plug (like motorola razr cell phones) and you literitly plug in your remote to charge it. A charger comes with of coarse :)

I am not aware of any problems with the newer OLED color remote alarms, I had come across some very good deals on the previous generation ones, and wondered why they were so inexpensive.

Turns out DEI recalled them all, and some dealers never sent them back for refurbishing, they just started selling them cheap. And supposedly the remote would loose communication with the alarm. I read on another form that DEI was only manufacturing a very limited number of replacement remotes for customers that had the problem alarms.

I saw Steve and Jack do a 5900 on the Hoopty, and figured if its good enough for them, it's good enough for me. :D

FYI the 5900 remote screen lights up orange and it also comes with a programming button on the back of the remote for setting the remote features. Not sure if the 791xv remote does that or if it was a new thing when the 5900 came out.

Anyway, best of luck with the Mini, I don't think you will be disappointed with either alarm.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

yea the 791 has the same feature, or any other directed 2 way lcd pager remote. You can turn the beep on/off, turn vibrate on/off, slect either hood/trunk/both, and turn the lighted screen on/of.

If they where the older colored ones that had problems I got no idea. Ive never heard of anything nor even had a intrest in the older ones, but directed will get shit straightened out, and if you failed to get yours replace I guess thats their own fault. lol

Main thing tho is buy from an authorized dealer, that way if an issue occurs you got a warranty, unless you really need to buy from ebay to save that $20...

but will they cover it even if I install it ?

From my understanding of directed is that only an official dealer of there product can do the install for the full warranty. If you install it, whoever you buy it from will have to make that agreement with you but DEI will not cover it from you. Unless it's changed???

Archived