Second Skin Audio

Infinite Baffle Wtf Is That? Car? Home? Pro?

There seems to be a lot of misconception about an infinite baffle, so here goes my stab at it with a link to a forum that has a lot of dedication and experience to them.

What I have gathered:

A baffle is a board a speaker driver is mounted to.

When a speaker is not attatched to anything, and the front and rear wave are completely allowed to go around the driver and are not in any way isolated or coupled, it is free air.

When it is on a baffle, the sound waves are forced to travel further to intersect. The smaller the baffle, the higher waves (upper frequencies) are no longer cancelling out as the baffle separates them. As we increase the baffle size, the longer it gets, the lower the waves that no longer cancel depending on 1/4 wavelength and total wavelength.

The 1/4 wavelength for 33Hz is 8.5 feet, the total wavelength is 35 feet. For a driver to effectively recreate 33Hz without any cancelation and all the way up from there, the baffle would have to be 35 feet out from the driver, or a total of 75 feet in diameter.

An infinite baffle is a "sealed" ROOM with a minimum airspace of 25 times the drivers Vas, so that the driver does not "see" the enclosure. Anything less, and the air acts as a spring.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-system.html

IB3 22"

so how do you plan to use an infinity baffle woofer inside the trunk of your car? obviously you dont have 25 times the woofers size in airspace inside you're trunk so will the sub only be able to reproduce higher frequencies rather than lower frequencies?

Anyways that cleared up some questions i had about infinite baffle subs but im still not entirely sure on how they work.

DSC06330-1.jpg

91' Jeep Cherokee - The Heep

Just Empty Every Pocket

96' Volvo 960 - The B◘x

[sPL_4_U]

HiFonics - Alpine

Pioneer - Clarion

Infinity - Kicker

KnuKonceptz

so how do you plan to use an infinity baffle woofer inside the trunk of your car? obviously you dont have 25 times the woofers size in airspace inside you're trunk so will the sub only be able to reproduce higher frequencies rather than lower frequencies?

Anyways that cleared up some questions i had about infinite baffle subs but im still not entirely sure on how they work.

Your trunk isn't sealed ;) The world is the airspace for the woofer...

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

what is an infinite baffle woofer? what is an SPL woofer? what is a pro audio woofer?

there is no such thing. all woofers can be used in any application. all woofers are better suited for certain applications than others. Thiele Small parameters help determine this, a common combination is EBP... effective bandwith product, which i am still just barely learning about.

it will produce all frequencies, but the responce curve will vary

IB3 22"

free air is infinite baffle, same thing, an imaginary infinite wall that doesn't allow the front wave and rear wave collide= bass

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Your trunk isn't sealed ;) The world is the airspace for the woofer...

I never said it was sealed, i said at best it is a very leaky/high flexing sealed enclosure that varies in volume with pressurization. It most certain is not open to the world. CAREFULLY play a sine wave on your system that reaches maximum excursion before damage, then open your trunk or a door. (assuming everything was shut and rolled up).

if u play an IB system with everything shut then pop your trunk, the 2 can't even be compared.

on that note, not only do you need X times the Vas behind the driver, but you need it in front as well. otherwise you could consider any sealed enclosure an IB as long as it was in free space outside....

in other words, even if you have a huge trunk thats 25X vas on 1 side of the driver, the cabin must be as well

even further yet, if you cut a hole in your roof and mounted the speaker in it so one side WAS outside with the whole world as your airspace, the other side, the inside, would still most likely be too small... the whole interior of the car ;)

IB3 22"

free air is infinite baffle, same thing, an imaginary infinite wall that doesn't allow the front wave and rear wave collide= bass

free air means completely unattatched to any baffle

it is sometimes used as slang for infinite baffle incorrectly

if your driver is free air, then the front and rear are allowed to cancell eachother out

IB3 22"

free air means completely unattatched to any baffle

it is sometimes used as slang for infinite baffle incorrectly

if your driver is free air, then the front and rear are allowed to cancell eachother out

wrong....

foreverbumpin is correct.

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

wrong....

foreverbumpin is correct.

I guess a quick google of free air subwoofer speaks of mounting it to a rear deck, but in youtube it always shows it sitting on a floor

so I guess that would be the incorrect slang, sitting on a floor nothing attatched, and IB/free air are interchangeable

so when you did the test vid of the HX2 (was it HE2?) 10" on the T15k, what would you call that? and I think your first vid of the Fi BTL 18" when you got it

IB3 22"

I never said it was sealed, i said at best it is a very leaky/high flexing sealed enclosure that varies in volume with pressurization. It most certain is not open to the world. CAREFULLY play a sine wave on your system that reaches maximum excursion before damage, then open your trunk or a door. (assuming everything was shut and rolled up).

if u play an IB system with everything shut then pop your trunk, the 2 can't even be compared.

on that note, not only do you need X times the Vas behind the driver, but you need it in front as well. otherwise you could consider any sealed enclosure an IB as long as it was in free space outside....

in other words, even if you have a huge trunk thats 25X vas on 1 side of the driver, the cabin must be as well

even further yet, if you cut a hole in your roof and mounted the speaker in it so one side WAS outside with the whole world as your airspace, the other side, the inside, would still most likely be too small... the whole interior of the car ;)

Totally correct... I was just answering the person that posted after you ;)

IMO Free air = not attached to anything and Infinite baffle = on a baffle but hey that's just me.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!