rotating mass is a whole nother thing than sittin in the car.

If you've been doing something for 20 years, does that mean what you do it right???

Want:

2x Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

Comp Amp Undecided

AA Havoc

AQ 1200

knu wiring

set scew lugs for all connections

Alpine IDA-X303 2v preout :(--this goes under the seat.

Have:

Alpine tape deck w/ Benzi Box and 6 disc changer

Check out my Toyota build

rotating mass is a whole nother thing than sittin in the car.

If the weight is on the outside of the rim and they are 100lb rims..possibly. But for a wheel to add 10-15lbs, there won't be a huge difference, especially on city streets.

2k6 Dodge Ram 2500...CUMMINS POWERED - SOLD

Not trying to cause an argument, but I would highly disagree with the statement above. How can adding 40-100lbs of rolling resistance put the brakes past their threshold of stopping the vehicle?

40-100lbs of rolling resistance is no worse than adding a 150lb passenger or 2. Investing in a better brake pad is not a bad idea, but your brakes will be fine.

ok then if rotating mass is the same thing as sitting in the car, and this other guy above says he notices slower acceleration, he would also notice slower braking, which he dont.

The 2 things go hand in hand.

Not to mention that your going to go thru stock brake pads left and right...

Maybe you should look into this a bit more, and find out why all the real dogs are going out and spending $1000+ for these brake kits. It sure aint for looks.

If you got to hit them brakes because some kid runs in front of your 3000+ pound suv with your 4 18s, and 4 t4k amps, and 7 power master batteries your going to hit that kid and come to a stop halfway down the block... (sorry for using meade for a refrence) :) but he did a compairison on video, and yet you still think stock brakes are fine. Maybe you should stick with some spinner hubcaps instead then you wont have to worry about affording the braking upgrades needed :)

BanginCaddy is right, you should not put huge rims on without some sort of brake upgrades, you don't have to go nuts and spend your whole bank account, but there is no way stock brakes are gonna work with big heavy wheels.

If you want another example, I went from 16"s to 18"s on my little PT Cruiser and did a basic upgrade with Stoptech rotors, ceramic pads and upgraded fluid, and there is a difference....so it's got be more noticable with 22"+ wheels.

Watch Steves vids!

Edited by ptcary

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

ok then if rotating mass is the same thing as sitting in the car, and this other guy above says he notices slower acceleration, he would also notice slower braking, which he dont.

I'm not saying they are the same thing, I'm just saying that changing from 25lb wheels 35lb wheels isn't going to overstress the brakes.

If the OP was talking about having 2000lbs of equipment inside the vehicle like Steve has, then yes i would look into other upgrades, but the original post says nothing about what equipment or added weight is in the vehicle.

Its going to make a huge difference...

I went from stock 15 caddy wheels, to a 16 inch chrome spoke newer sts wheel, and didnt notice a thing. but then going to 16s to 20s, I noticed that I was changing stock pads every 2-4 months.

And the op is talking about going from 22-24s...

And then you say something about city driving

If the weight is on the outside of the rim and they are 100lb rims..possibly. But for a wheel to add 10-15lbs, there won't be a huge difference, especially on city streets.

That is totally wrong...

City driving is more abusive or puts more wear on your brakes then highway driving because of the continuious stop and go driving (stoplights, stopsigns, traffic jams, etc).

Ill argue back and forth with this all day long, because I know Im 110% right.

And if you think otherwise your a tool.

It dont matter if you got a big stereo, or no stereo. It will matter.

PS: Did I just call an admin a tool?? :P

j/p

or am i? :)

I went from stock 15 caddy wheels, to a 16 inch chrome spoke newer sts wheel, and didnt notice a thing. but then going to 16s to 20s, I noticed that I was changing stock pads every 2-4 months.

this could depend on the car to. i havnt changed the brakes on my truck and i had it for almost two years with a nice lil bit of pad still left on it. its my daily driver. it could also depends on how many miles u put on ur car city and highway. IMO if u have the money for a break upgrade do it. if u dont then save some money and upgrade what u can

mycars.jpg

Its going to make a huge difference...

And the op is talking about going from 22-24s...

And then you say something about city driving

That is totally wrong...

City driving is more abusive or puts more wear on your brakes then highway driving because of the continuious stop and go driving (stoplights, stopsigns, traffic jams, etc).

Ill argue back and forth with this all day long, because I know Im 110% right.

And if you think otherwise your a tool.

It dont matter if you got a big stereo, or no stereo. It will matter.

PS: Did I just call an admin a tool?? :P

j/p

or am i? :)

I'm not trying to argue a point, i'm making general statements based on my experience. You guys make it sound like if he goes up to 24's that he will have a catastrophic brake failure and his vehicle will never stop.

Yes a BBK will always be helpful and help a vecicle stop quicker since it has more surface area. But if we are going to keep using Steve as the comparison tool, why has he been ok for many years without one? My Point is that yes it will be helpful, but no it is not Necesary.

Ohh and as far as me being a tool...that's ok, cause unlike you, I have a ban stick, so let's keep this civilized. :D

Not to mention that your going to go thru stock brake pads left and right...

Maybe you should look into this a bit more, and find out why all the real dogs are going out and spending $1000+ for these brake kits. It sure aint for looks.

If you got to hit them brakes because some kid runs in front of your 3000+ pound suv with your 4 18s, and 4 t4k amps, and 7 power master batteries your going to hit that kid and come to a stop halfway down the block... (sorry for using meade for a refrence) :) but he did a compairison on video, and yet you still think stock brakes are fine. Maybe you should stick with some spinner hubcaps instead then you wont have to worry about affording the braking upgrades needed :)

I do agree with you on the upgraded brakes... but

I don't think that a kid should be playing on a highway.

you were comparing 65mph stop tests and now you are comparing to a kid.

I see your point but I just thought that was funny.

I'm hoping to go from 16's to 26's.

10" upgrade?!?!?

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

It dont matter the speed tho, in any point.

Your brakes get hot, stock brakes are going to have to work harder to stop with the added wheel mass, when the stock brakes get hot they dont stop worth a damn.

Your going to end up eating pads left and right.

Im not saying you need to drop a grand on brakes, but You should get some sort of after market rotor that is at least slotted to help the heat dissapaite, and a better pad to take the temp and add better braking power.

Ceramic pads are nice, and you can get a decent set for all 4 wheels for around 100$.

You get expensive when you start running huge rotors, and calipers.

My baer delcea (sp) rotors ran me about 150 per wheel (600$), then 88$ for Bendix ceramic pads on all wheels.

I left my calipers stock.

I ran these brakes for 2 years, and never had to change a pad, and no warpped rotters. There was a few times they saved me from cracking up my car.

Not to mention no ugly brake dust on nice shinny wheels. :)

As for the Banstick comment.

If you wanna bann me go for it. Chances are Ill get unbanned pretty quick, and if not well hey theres always CA.com roflmao...

But I think it be funny to be banned for being correct. Enough people cant stand me already because I provide correct info, and not false info, and I guess I type essays and not quick rubbish responses, but being hated for providing the correct info, and making diagrams or whatever to provide the novice guy that askes a question is my bad I guess....