Just picked up a spray can of paint to match my car from Chevy.

My plan is to paint the mirrors where they are painted on the LT, the door handles (again like the LT), and the Chevy emblem all with the same color as my car.

I know that the thread on painting plastics is stickied but I just wanted to know if there were any tips on how to paint the plastic Chevy uses.

It has lots of holes in it and I was wondering if the paint would fill them in and look nice.

Any suggestions?

02-02-09_1717.jpg

Edit: Nevermind on the plastic parts. I just re-read the sticky and it explains it.

But please do still help on the emblem part of painting.

Edited by thehoe92

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

• 2 weeks later...

i took my plastics to a autobody shop, i was worried about rattle can chipping if i did it

Could you throw some pics up of the emblems and explain exactly what the issue is your having?

yes i would like to know also im going to tackle the job of painting mine in a week or so

yes i would like to know also im going to tackle the job of painting mine in a week or so

You talking about the grill emblem? PM me.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Painting the emblem should be similar to how I painted my upper lip of my grill. Just sand down the metal with a medium to fine grit paper or sanding block, then make sure its very clean, use some degreaser on it. Put a coat of primer on it, let it dry, give it plenty of time. If you see any dust specs, wet sand it with a very very fine grit. Then put on another layer of primer (I don't know why but I did). Let it dry, time and preparation are everything. After that 2-3 coats of your desired color, wet sanding if small specs arise, and then once you have it the finish/gloss you desire seal it up with a clear coat and give it atleast 2-3 days to dry completely. Multiple clears don't hurt I suppose. That is just what I did to a front lip on my car, and after about 3 months no chipping what so ever. I'm no professional painter so my technique could be completely off.

I'm happy how it came out.

DSC02530-1.jpg

Edited by Thewes
teamsundown-1.jpg

Painting the emblem should be similar to how I painted my upper lip of my grill. Just sand down the metal with a medium to fine grit paper or sanding block, then make sure its very clean, use some degreaser on it. Put a coat of primer on it, let it dry, give it plenty of time. If you see any dust specs, wet sand it with a very very fine grit. Then put on another layer of primer (I don't know why but I did). Let it dry, time and preparation are everything. After that 2-3 coats of your desired color, wet sanding if small specs arise, and then once you have it the finish/gloss you desire seal it up with a clear coat and give it atleast 2-3 days to dry completely. Multiple clears don't hurt I suppose. That is just what I did to a front lip on my car, and after about 3 months no chipping what so ever. I'm no professional painter so my technique could be completely off.

I'm happy how it came out.

DSC02530-1.jpg

Which part are we talking about dude? The section at the edge of the hood between the hood and grill?

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

thanks everyone for all the tips.

I am going to get started this weekend since Chevy finally called and said my little 5 oz can is in.

What a joke.

My dad knocked them down to $10 since I couldn't go in and get it because rattle cans and minors don't mix.

I trust anything that Thewes says because basically I dig everything he does with his rides.

The Performer helped a lot with extra advice.

I'll shoot some pics in the process and post them in my build.

I'm going to try and find some door handles and mirrors from other Tahoe's like mine that are already painted but if I can't I'm going to be starting possibly this weekend if I can pick up another rattle can or 2.

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple