Second Skin Audio

First Box Build

I just bought two Alpine SWS-1042D's in a sealed box from a friend. I am far from happy with the box design, and would like to build my own box to better fit my trunk space. I do not have trunk measurements at the moment, but I was thinking about a U-shaped enclosure, towards the front of my trunk. The subs would be inverse-mounted at the vertical parts of the "u", with the horizontal part providing any needed volume and maybe a mounting point for the amp. I would probably stick with a sealed box for now; as it is my subs are weak towards the higher range (but only since I have turned them from facing backwards -.-), although, I don't know, maybe some more low-range would be nice. I don't know the current volume; just that it seems tiny and the recommended volume sealed is 1.0 cubes, and ported is 1.2 cubes with a 3" diameter 9" long port. Can anyone throw me a design or input on the feasibility of this? Some basic construction tips would also be helpful.

EDIT: changed title to fit topic

Edited by ktownsdriftking

Too many projects, too little time...

if you went ported you can build a rectangular box with a slot port which the internet has many of... unless your dead set on going sealed

SMDMafia-amazinblazin.jpg

1997 Dodge Ram Van 2500

Big III addition with 1/0 awg wiring all throughout

Lightning Audio Strike S4.1000.1D

Jenson XA2250

2 - 12" Mtx Jackhammers JH55

3ft cubed box sealed under the rear bench seat

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB head unit

MB Quart FWA 160 components up front

Here's a crappy Paint version of my idea (nowhere near to scale)

boxidea.jpg

EDIT: The grey area would be the enclosure. There would be a partition in the horizontal part of the box to make individual areas.

I wanted to go with a sealed box because the shape doesnt affect them.

Edited by ktownsdriftking

seems like this design would take up a lot more space instead of a small, petite sealed box....

SMDMafia-amazinblazin.jpg

1997 Dodge Ram Van 2500

Big III addition with 1/0 awg wiring all throughout

Lightning Audio Strike S4.1000.1D

Jenson XA2250

2 - 12" Mtx Jackhammers JH55

3ft cubed box sealed under the rear bench seat

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB head unit

MB Quart FWA 160 components up front

i think it should work allright, if space was a concern try using passive radiators, do a small enclosure on top and add radiators to it.

your best bet would be to just do compact vented and give the subs a lil more horsepower :)

DCAUDIO

BALLS DEEP

I would do ported but I'm not sure about port length or what to tune it to, or even how to tune it...=/ Not to mention, doesn't a ported box need to be shaped a certain way? I was thinking this box could tuck up against the backseats and protrude into the actual trunk area less than my current box, then I could mount the amp as stated instead of having to take more space with that. I will try and find time this weekend to pull crap out of the trunk and get pictures so I can show you what I mean. Actually...I'll do it now. I'll put pictures up ASAP

are you dead set on that box, my opinion is it sounds retarded. type S 10"s right? if you give me measurements i could prolly design a better box....and unless ur playing at LOW volumes i would go with ported....

but, thats just what i think. dont mind me.

24pm3xe.jpg

im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire.

Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block....

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt.

Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon.

MSG Me for a free enclosure design!!

Flared port kits coming soon!!