Second Skin Audio

Wait, So Enclosure Type & Size Affects Max Watts?

but the box doesnt affect the wattage....the wattage the subs will be getting would determine how big/small you should make your box(ported) i have no clue about sealed.

and i dont agree with your last sentence at all really....say i get a a Fi BTL 12 running 2500 rms in a 3.0 cubic foot box, they would take a shit on me in that box? i dont think so...but hey :pardon:

if you got a 12" btl in a 6 cube box with 2500 RMS im pretty sure youll smell coils and read way up high or nothing on the DMM on the ohm setting especially if you are tuned pretty low ... i.e 28 - 29 hz..

so i totally agree with the last sentence of his post.

also, if kicker recommends 4 cubes then why not do 4 cubes @ 40 hz. tuning will play a factor or how much power they'll take in that 4.5 cube box or whatever as well.

Edited by dwright27

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

if you got a 12" btl in a 6 cube box with 2500 RMS im pretty sure youll smell coils and read way up high or nothing on the DMM on the ohm setting especially if you are tuned pretty low ... i.e 28 - 29 hz..

so i totally agree with the last sentence of his post.

also, if kicker recommends 4 cubes then why not do 4 cubes @ 40 hz. tuning will play a factor or how much power they'll take in that 4.5 cube box or whatever as well.

okay but who would put a 12" BTl in a 6 cub box? nobody.

and i realize that the size of the box will determine how it takes to power, but im saying that that it doesnt always make as big of a difference as some people make it out to seem.

Matt W.

1996 Thunderbird LX Sport 4.6

new system soon...still deciding on what to get.

okay but who would put a 12" BTl in a 6 cub box? nobody.

and i realize that the size of the box will determine how it takes to power, but im saying that that it doesnt always make as big of a difference as some people make it out to seem.

Some people being the ones that write the manual? I guess its a CYA deal?

images-1.jpg

There's nothing wrong with sending a signal below the tuning frequency. My last enclosure was tuned to 40Hz...never used a subsonic...never had any problems playing sweeps down to 20Hz.

In most cases the SSF should be set around 5-10Hz below the enclosure Fb.

Thats what I'm hearing. Sounds like my box is going to need some work.

I'm ready to just give up and buy one of the $45 sealed 1.4 cu ft boxes from Best Buy

images-1.jpg

I'm ready to just give up and buy one of the $45 sealed 1.4 cu ft boxes from Best Buy

If you do that then your system will suck balls.

Do it right, port it, and who gives a rats arse about 28wrms anyway... you're getting all knotted up over little things, most people here a. run like 2-3x RMS power into their subs and b. Don't build to the exact specs found in the manual...

Edited by Boon

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

lol ok. Just trying to be safe and get the most bang for my buck. The part where I make the box I have sound and look great was actually the part of this I was most looking forward to.

Its a hobby, and hobbies are supposed to be fun. Getting that best buy crap would take most fun out.

Also, I finally found my amp specs:

http://catalog.ebay.com/_W0QQ_fclsZ1QQ_pid...295QQ_tabZ1%22}

Its bottoming out @ 17hz? That sounds a tad low.

{edit} now I learn it does have a SSF?

'Infinity's proprietary Dynamic Bass Optimizer (DBO) circuit matches variable bass boost with a variable subsonic filter to enable low frequency fine-tuning while still providing robust speaker protection.'

Edited by slugdub
images-1.jpg

No one said this was going to be easy but buying a 1.4 cu ft box is a complete waste of time and money. Do it right. I would just rebuild the box.

2008 Chevy Impala (undercover cop style)

Setup in the makings

No one said this was going to be easy but buying a 1.4 cu ft box is a complete waste of time and money. Do it right. I would just rebuild the box.

Actually I don't know why it would be a waste. I know its a waste of money if I have the box and desire to tune mine, however if its properly sealed and the right dimensions, it should be great.

From what I've learned here about the fluidity of the air and the travel of the speaker, that box would give plenty of leeway. I know I'd still have trunk noise, but it would boom!

images-1.jpg