So... I decided to tackle this tonight and into tomorrow. I have had these wonderful tacks holding up my headliner for going on 5 or 6 years now- and before I put in the wall, I figure I had better put in the headliner. This really sucks in an Astro btw....

DSC02758.jpg

DSC02759.jpg

DSC02760.jpg

DSC02761.jpg

DSC02762.jpg

DSC02763.jpg

DSC02764.jpg

DSC02765.jpg

DSC02766.jpg

DSC02767.jpg

DSC02768.jpg

DSC02769.jpg

Super Dirty...

DSC02771.jpg

Cleaning them up...

DSC02772.jpg

Time for a break- Home made Fig Wine FTW!!! Wine is even better when you make it yourself!

So- do I put any designs or anything under the new headliner??? I don't want to go stupid with it- just something that is different but won't be dated.

So- that means no big chevy symbols, no names, no brand names (heaven knows that will change at some point...)

What you guys think? A touch of flame around the center console? Some stars? Nothing? It will kinda' be like a tattoo- once it is there, it isn't coming back off!

Any input is appreciated. I have some patch work to do, so prob. in the morning I will do the fabric.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

astro doesnt seem so bad in my explorer the side plastics from rear to front are one piece :\

im hoping to do the same, ever consider shaving your sun visors, and dome lights and all that stuff?

mby get some fake vinyl and cover the headliner? or are you getting a whole new headliner?

DCAUDIO

BALLS DEEP

LAWL @ all those tacks lasting through the 8 12's.

Oh, that was a daily ritual after bumping the subs! Play the subs, check for stray tacks! :spiteful:

The entire headliner is gone. All I have left is the fiberglass undermatting, and I am going to have to patch and strengthen it. 20 year old van- so I guess it was time anyway. The foam under the headliner just turned to dust. It wasn't even much of a chore to clean the old foam off- because it wasn't foam anymore! :) It wasn't really that bad taking it down, just not something that I enjoyed. The driver's side plastic runs from front all the way to the back and the passenger's side is 2 piece.

So... any Ideas on designs under the fabric? :search:

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

ur name or initials

or ur kids name if you got one ;)

Not in the headliner... I am thinking about doing that on the Visors though. My name on my side and the wifey on the other visor. If I had kids and they sat in certain seats- I would do that though.

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

So I finished it. I actually managed to make this look pretty good- all by myself. I had to get my dad to help me put the headliner back in- that thing is so big, it is a chore.

I didn't go with any designs b/c nothing really struck me- but I did decide to delete the sun visors. I managed to wire my radar detector in behind the headliner as well.

DSC02773.jpg

DSC02774.jpg

DSC02775.jpg

DSC02776.jpg

DSC02777.jpg

DSC02778.jpg

DSC02779.jpg

It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't great fun either! I managed to clean some stuff that was filthy, sound deaden some more stuff, tighten down gobs of loose nuts and screws and so forth. I am about to run out of stuff to repair before I am able to build my wall. Yay! :yahoo:

Edited by Colin - 1HVYHTR

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

I just realized I should have put this in the Interior / Exterior section because this isn't my build yet. Sorry- if a mod cares to move it, please do.

Today I worked on my running boards. Don't laugh. My grandmother put them on there before she gave me the van years and years ago. I said don't laugh. :) She will need the redone steps when she gets in it when I give her a demo. :P I cleaned them really well, took what was left of the old black tape off, and put non-skid tape on them. Pics:

DSC02780.jpg

DSC02781.jpg

DSC02782.jpg

3 before photos... bleh!

DSC02784.jpg

Purple power clean, then scrape off what I could, then goo cleaner, then clean again, then put on new Non-skid

DSC02787.jpg

After 1st Clean

DSC02789.jpg

After goo Clean

DSC02791.jpg

Final Clean

DSC02793.jpg

DSC02794.jpg

DSC02795.jpg

Running boards done!

Edited by Colin - 1HVYHTR

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel