Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Waterproofing A Boat Enclosure.


cc_audio

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have aquired a boat that will be rigged up to go wakeboarding. Its currently in the stereo build process. I have front and tower speakers that are incredibly loud and sound great and I am adding a much needed subwoofer. The enclosure will be a bandpass tapered T-Line. Thanks to forevrbumpn for the enclosure idea. :friends: The sub will be a 10" Sony Xplod XS-L1035. Here is my question...

"What is the cheapest way to waterproof raw MDF?"

The outside will have truck bed liner in more exposed spots but I don't want to do the whole thing because thats REALLY expensive. I need something that will last. It doesn't have to be durable to wear and tear but it has to be completely waterproof and last for atleast five years or so. If you guys want to see the build say so in your replies, that way I'll know to take pictures. :spiteful:

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

Posted

Resin

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

Posted

x2....some glass and resin, like what your boat is made out of :lol:

Good luck with the build, and post up some pics when ur done...

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

Posted

fiberglass

or maybe some bondoglass? idk how much it is now but i think it used to be cheap?

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

Posted
x2....some glass and resin, like what your boat is made out of :lol:

This box will be the only thing with resin. This boat is aluminum all the way. Oh yeah! Not even a single patch of fiberglass on this whole boat. Ugly, but practical.. Haha I guess I'll whip out the camera.

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

Posted

Where do you guys get your resin? The last time a bought some it was expensive as hell and I went through it pretty quick. Isn't there like a stain or sealant thats $15 a gallon that could waterproof it. I'm trying really hard to save money here. I have two AC Delco deep cycles, a Boss Rev655 fourchannel (speakers), a dual 300W two channel (sub), Bose and Olympus outdoor speakers, Pioneer H/U, 10" Sony Xplod subwoofer and all of it and the wires were free. It was all just lying around. Go back to basic woodworking in high school shop, what could waterproof wood and be really cheap. I guess I could try Google too. :D

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

Posted

thompsons water sealant

but you gotta apply it every few months if its gonna be in the sun alot.

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4636 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...