Second Skin Audio

Btl Just Stopped Working..

So A few weeks ago, I am driving down the road and banging a loud 30hz tone on my 12" BTL.

The tone gets weaker and weaker over a 10 second run and I smell it.... the burning smell.. the blown speaker smell.

IT completely stopped working. So I took it out and examined it. It looks 100% fine, tinsel leads still good. clean motor etc

I hooked a 6x9 up to my amp to test for possible DC voltage coming out of the speaker terminals, and the 6x9 played correctly.

Any ideas?

So A few weeks ago, I am driving down the road and banging a loud 30hz tone on my 12" BTL.

The tone gets weaker and weaker over a 10 second run and I smell it.... the burning smell.. the blown speaker smell.

IT completely stopped working. So I took it out and examined it. It looks 100% fine, tinsel leads still good. clean motor etc

I hooked a 6x9 up to my amp to test for possible DC voltage coming out of the speaker terminals, and the 6x9 played correctly.

Any ideas?

It is an AC voltage out of your amp.

Get a multi Meter and check your ohm load if nothing then check connections if thats still good then you got a nice new paper wait. Time to get a recone.

03 Trailblazer EXT LT

In Dash

Rear Flip Down

Polk Audio Font & Rear Stage

Hifonics Zeus 4 Chan Amp

Hifonics Brutus Mono Amp

12" Rockford Fosgate Power HX2

T-Line tuned to 45hz

18"BTL T-line @31Hz (9 weeks pregnant)

What would a burnt coil be caused by?

No I know AC voltage is what comes out, but ive also heard of things shorting in amps and DC voltage coming out and ruining the speaker.

It is a single BTL so I know all the connections were good... Do you possibly know if its coverd by warrenty, I bought it from Fi in November of 2008. (5 mos ago i think)

burnt coils are caused by either excess power causing heat, or a clipped/distored signal causing excess heat. In the end excess heat kills a subwoofer. Fi probably will not cover this, because it is due to mis-use of the speaker. Time for recone kit.

2007 Acura TSX

Stock Navigation

Rockford 360.2 (FOR SALE)

Sundown SAZ3500

2 12" DC Sound Lab LvL4 @2ohm

JL 600/4

2 Sets of Focal 165K2P

could be cause by a lot of things,

To much power.

Clipped or distorted signal.

In wrong box...

03 Trailblazer EXT LT