the shops old demo car after I got it to stick good just took a chunk of windshield with it

Yep- I was going to say that but you beat me to it. You get a good enough glue to hold it to the glass, the only thing really left to break is the glass itself (if your stereo can do it). I have seen it before too.

Another thing you could try.... in older vehicles, the rear view mirror was bolted to the metal roof above the windshield. No glue- bolts. You would have to make something or find one somewhere and hide it behind your headliner. Here is one from a 50s ish truck:

rearview.jpg\

Now the reason they glue them now instead of bolting them in- (it's kinda' gruesome) When people would have head on collisions or wrecks or what have you, their head would hit the mirror (again- BOLTED to the roof) and the mirror would break off and their heads would get stuck on the little metal piece that holds the mirror. Glued on mirrors break off when your head hits them.

So- you could try that if you really want a mirror, but I vote with the other people- delete it and get used to driving with just your side mirrors.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Colin my 1995 is bolted to the roof- no glue just bolts.

thank you for that bit of information...

makes me feel better about taking the bish off.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

Colin my 1995 is bolted to the roof- no glue just bolts.

thank you for that bit of information...

makes me feel better about taking the bish off.

-Drew

I watch lots of the History channel and one day they had a show on cars. Well- I couldn't miss that one! So me, the TV and some doritos. All was great until they talked about the rear view mirror thing and showed some crash photos. Not hungry for doritos after that. lol

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

After examining whats left of my rear view closer-

its actually two pieces, a bottom plate that bolts to the car and then the mirror that attaches to the bottom plate with a flimsy washer thingy of an attachment (cant really describe it) but in the case of a crash the mirror would pull from the piece that bolts to the roof.

phew.

makes me feel a hell of a lot better.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

• 2 weeks later...
Clean the glass with alcohol, hit the metal button,& glass with a piece of finishing sand paper, and get a tube of this :

100_2865.jpg

Got it @ AUTOZONE, can't remember the brand, but it WORKS!! Put mine back on a year ago, and it DON'T move.

x2 we use that same stuff at work and the glass will break before that comes off.

IMO, there's no sense in having a rear view mirror. They are highly overrated and abused. People rely too much on it and never use the side mirrors which actually show you what's going on better than the windshield one.

I'm not bashing or anything :D . I'm a safety rep at work and most of our driving incidents are the result of improper mirror usage. (Changing lanes, backing around a curve or into a bay, parallel parking, etc...) The rear view should only be a quick reference. Our policy is to get out and look around if you're really unsure. And in some cases use a spotter. (Sounds cheesey I know)

We have a lot of large trucks that don't have them also and we (in my shop) never have an issue. It's the front office people who have little cars and SUVs that get into accidents.

Plus, what if you do a wall someday? You're mirror will have no use.

<<< Take it from me. ;)

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/