Sonic Electronix

I'm in the process of collecting parts, and getting my audio system together, building my boxes etc. Well due to some space restrictions (and the fact that I like being different" I had to come up with a design that would still aloow me to use my trunk and keep my spare tire(and keep it accessible too) So I came up with the design I have now.

The boxes aren't done, I need to do a few other things before it's all ready to go, but I wanted some opinions on my "out of the ordinary" design from people who really know.

Why the tube you will all ask? Well, the wedge shaped box was too small internally for my speakers listed box size, but if my boxes were square they would cover up my spare tire cover and I wouldn't be able to easily open it. plus speakers are round so I didn't want to build a square tube for a round speaker. Also I wanted to try for something that looked really cool too, like a couple of jet engines in the trunk or something.

I am going for SQ here, not straight SPL, I'll be adding other speakers inside my cab too, so my sound will be nice and crisp.

The tubes will need to be reinforced, I'm thinking of coating them with FG resin (after peeling off the inner and outer paper layer) to solidify them and maybe add some bracing in there.

the size when finished, with the felt padding inside, should be damn near the 1.075 FT3 that I need.

so, lets hear it.....

Box.jpg

if you just want a sealed box that looks bad ass that should do nicely

it would be sweet if you glassed the tubes to look oval like a jets engine

Edited by uhoh_45

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

no reason it wouldnt work, unless you were putting some high output woofer in there that could blow a sonotube apart

i'd reinforce with glass and resin, just incase, 3 maybe 4 layers, it cant hurt, all it could do is give you rigidity and lower resonances, which are two things you'd want in any sq install.

looks pretty neat, let us know how it works out.

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

Ive been working on them for a while, mostly just because ive been getting other parts, and thinking of how to reinforce the tubes.... glass seems to be the way to go.

I would LOVE to make a fiberglass cover of some sort that would go over top and blend the boxes into my trunk but I have no fucking clue how I would go about doing that.

its all pretty simple stuff once you get the whole stretching fleece/mixing resin/applying glass/getting air out thing down, none of which is hard, just takes some time experimenting and shit, you cant be afraid to throw it out and start over

check out the fiberglassing forum, there's a lot of build pics and how-to's that will def give you an idea of how to do whatever it is you have pictured in your head. Just keep in mind even a small project could run 100-200bux between resin/glass/gloves/brushes/felt/wood/glue/containers/hardener/bondo/sandpaper/finishing material/paint

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

its all pretty simple stuff once you get the whole stretching fleece/mixing resin/applying glass/getting air out thing down, none of which is hard, just takes some time experimenting and shit, you cant be afraid to throw it out and start over

check out the fiberglassing forum, there's a lot of build pics and how-to's that will def give you an idea of how to do whatever it is you have pictured in your head. Just keep in mind even a small project could run 100-200bux between resin/glass/gloves/brushes/felt/wood/glue/containers/hardener/bondo/sandpaper/finishing material/paint

the biggest problem I face with this design is that its big for one, and would be my first time. Secondly, and most importantly, Im not sure how I would make the cover blend in to the trunk.... im seriously completely lost on how to secure the fabric to certain points on the car, and getting it off once the glass has hardened.

I will worry about it a bit more once I figure out what i'm going to do with my trunk.

I'm considering removing the carpeting, cleaning it all down to bare metal and having it sprayed with rhino liner or something. That still leaves me with 2 boxes though... I don't want it to look like there are two boxes sitting in my trunk.

and how do I secure the damn things? I've been considering welding tabs right to the trunk to bolt the boxes directly to it.

Just keep in mind even a small project could run 100-200bux between resin/glass/gloves/brushes/felt/wood/glue/containers/hardener/bondo/sandpaper/finishing material/paint

nbo shit

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer