Second Skin Audio

Best Way To Measure And Cut Out Sub Holes?

alright guys, well ive had some experience building boxes and have built quite a few, but i always have ghetto cut the sub holes on the baffle. I just ordered a Level 4 18 and i dont wanna screw up the cutout on my new box. any advice on how to measure out the hole and cut it without all kinds of tools? the diameter is 16.75, i appreciate the help guys.

2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition:

Alpine CDA 9883

2x 18" DC lvl 4 D2

10.7 cu ft box 33hz

knu 1/0 wire

amp: Kicker ZX2500.1

Kinetik

tatoosmall2.jpg

banner2.jpg

Well you could do it with a circle jig and a router with a spiral upcut bit... or you can do it how I used to. Divide the cutout by 2... take a piece of scrap wood about an inch in width and drill two holes that distance apart... put your drill bit in one of the holes and drill a hole in your baffle where you want the center of your cutout to be... once you drill the hole and the jig is held there, take a pencil and put it in the other hole and go around.... perfect circle :) then ofcourse just cut it with a jigsaw after.

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

Well you could do it with a circle jig and a router with a spiral upcut bit... or you can do it how I used to. Divide the cutout by 2... take a piece of scrap wood about an inch in width and drill two holes that distance apart... put your drill bit in one of the holes and drill a hole in your baffle where you want the center of your cutout to be... once you drill the hole and the jig is held there, take a pencil and put it in the other hole and go around.... perfect circle :) then ofcourse just cut it with a jigsaw after.

wow, thats a really simple really good idea. i think im gonna go with that

2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition:

Alpine CDA 9883

2x 18" DC lvl 4 D2

10.7 cu ft box 33hz

knu 1/0 wire

amp: Kicker ZX2500.1

Kinetik

tatoosmall2.jpg

banner2.jpg

Router is nice but takes a bit of setup to get the guide on and all. In the same amount of time I can freehand cut a hole out with a jigsaw, and you'd be surprised how accurate you can be by hand.

Now if you've got 3 or 4 to cutout I'd setup the router.

2001 Chevy Blazer

(2) SAZ-3000Ds

(2) custom 18" Madmax subs in a second row wall

Rockford 600-4

Pioneer PRS components

Pioneer P800PRS deck

definitly the router and jasper jig, if you want that hella clean look on every box you do, thats the way to go. And you'll get the hang of it so setting it up will take less and less time. Jasper Jig Ftw

Router is the cleanest way to do it but if you have a really good jigsaw (cheapies will give you a shit line, especially in thick wood) you can whip out a pretty mean circle, especially if you use the method above to draw it :)

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!