hmm, well I wouldn't suggest putting it back into your computer with the new harddrive connected because if it does have a virus it could spread over.

You could unplug the new, plugin the old one, then run some online scans and antivirus scans. Defrag the drive, and get rid of stuff you dont need. If your using the same computer with a new drive and it works fine, im sure all you need to do is get rid of the virus and just clean the old drive.

2002 ford explorer

200 amp rewound alt

single 18" Fi btl fully loaded

2 1750's

2 c&d tech 88amp/hr batts

2 ought wiring

cdt component set up front, cdt coaxials in back

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X693

if you want to recover it, and it has a virus, def dont just hook it to your computer, or theres a decent chance itll spread. download knoppix or ubuntu, make a bootable flash drive, unhook your hdd's, hook in the virus'd one, and boot off of USB. see if you can mount/explore it and attempt to recover files, if so, attatch a bigass usb drive (or ipod or whatever you have available...like i said i keep that 500gig WD one handy) and start saving files. I just put Ubuntu on my lappy again and i love it, and it boots off an SD card...its pretty easy to do. PM me if you need links to ubuntu or the program to make the usb drive a boot drive.

Remember if there is any virus get rid of it because some can spread to usb drive, external harddrive, or any other memory device!

2002 ford explorer

200 amp rewound alt

single 18" Fi btl fully loaded

2 1750's

2 c&d tech 88amp/hr batts

2 ought wiring

cdt component set up front, cdt coaxials in back

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X693

reason i said boot off a usb stick is because worse case you're out a 10 dollar drive

and THERE ARE NO VIRUSES IN LINUX, so he should be fine as you just use it to boot linux and transfer clean, uncorrupted files over

I actually put linux on my mom's computer cuz its prettier/faster/impossible for her to fuck up/get viruses on. May be something to consider, unless your mom is a computer game addict she should be fine (i mean WOW and counterstrike and stuff, not flash games or bejeweled)

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

get a usb to sata or ide adapter and plug it in to your computer usb style. It wont boot. youll be able to search through the files manually. hell you can even runa virus scan on it if you have up good antivirus. I would not recommend this if you are not 100 percent sure your machine is locked and cocked against virus issues. I used to do this all the tiem. the piece is like 20 bucks online.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

moral of the story, never go to geek squad

theyre fucking useless and do grimey stuff like charge 120$ to install ram...which literally takes 12 seconds flat

or charge 180 to run a bootdisk (i think its 300+ for vista)

but yo, go to sams club or BJ's or whatever you have by you and get a western digital external hdd, i got a 500gig one for 140 bux like 2 years ago, so tis probably dirt cheap now, and just back up all your stuff, it even has a utility to automatically do it every night.

if you want to recover it, and it has a virus, def dont just hook it to your computer, or theres a decent chance itll spread. download knoppix or ubuntu, make a bootable flash drive, unhook your hdd's, hook in the virus'd one, and boot off of USB. see if you can mount/explore it and attempt to recover files, if so, attatch a bigass usb drive (or ipod or whatever you have available...like i said i keep that 500gig WD one handy) and start saving files. I just put Ubuntu on my lappy again and i love it, and it boots off an SD card...its pretty easy to do. PM me if you need links to ubuntu or the program to make the usb drive a boot drive.

I'll need a link on how to do some of this stuff.

I'm not too computer savvy.

My uncle goes scrapping and finds old computers tossed into the trash nightly.

Could I just plug the old drive into one of those and save everything from there since Best Buy stuck me with their "You Have To Use Our Service For Another 2 Years" Bullshit?

Oh, and they charged us $25 to clean it out. "Spray with air can."

And $10 to load up the Windows Disc.

I can put a fucking disc in myself.

dont put the damn thing in the freezer. use one of the other suggested methods.

have you ever actually tried it.

there is a good reason why freezing you hard drive works. A lot of times why an old hard drive will fail is the internal parts becoming worn and the heads starting to make actual contact with the platters. Freezing the hard drive for an hour or so will make the metal contract enough so that the heads are lifted back off the platters and your data can be read from it. Of course, once it thaws back out, the heads will crash back on to the platters and kill it some more, so this is only a last chance soution to get important data off the drive.

I don't talk about things I can't back up with experience.

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

Pimpin, like I said, if you have NO other options or can't get it, but you're sure that the data is still there (Just because the 'links' are removed doesn't mean the data is gone), you can send it out here and I'll rip it all to data DVDs. OR if you don't trust me I'm sure some other guys on here can easily do it to.

pm me if you're interested.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

I would partition the hard drive and install another version of windows without deleting the old copy, the save what i want to on a disk or another hard drive and format everything...For myself to make it easier i store music and stuff on separate hard drive and run just windows on another. It makes it easier if a virus or problem does happen. Everything i want is already saved and unaffected.

Archived