Anyone Know Of An Installer School?

Here you go, http://www.caraudiohelp.com/car_audio_inst...ler_schools.htm

Hope it helps

Sorry just read you wanted one close to Illinois, I think those might be the only one though, not 100% sure though.

Yeah it helps, but it sucks that theres not one "close" to illinois.

I'm going to tell you this in the nicest way possible as I have had some animosity towards the auto sound industry as of late. Don't waste your money going to any installation school. They are more of a scam than anything. If you know the basics you know everything that they are going to try and teach you. I'm speaking from experience here.

Back in 2003 I went to the school called Mobile Dynamics in Toronto Canada. I thought it would be nice to get a job in the industry and thought this was a good way to get my foot in the door. By this time in my car audio knowledge I had probably had over 200 installs under my belt as well as a couple years of spl competition's in my arsenal.

I was excited to go and learn what I thought to be the last trade I would ever need. Needless to say I went and was greatly disapointed with what I learned. I ended up 2nd in my class only to a guy that was already an installer and just wanted to come to the school because his parents were willing to pay for it. The only thing I found somewhat beneficial were the lessons on Watt's Law and Ohm's Law, as I had never learned about them before. The remote start portion was so vague I don't believe that I really picked up a single thing that I already didn't know. I later on learned most everything I know about installing remote starts by doing it in the garage.

That brings me to my next point. If you really want to learn this trade that much then go to a shop that is BUSY. Ask them if you can help out in the garage to learn for minimun wage or even for free. That will show them that you are dedicated and really want to learn if you are willing to do it without pay. They will teach you more and better than any school that I've ever heard of will. If I were to run a school that's how I'd do it. With 90% hands on and 10% classroom. I'd have several demo cars that my students could actually work on without worrying about breaking something or screwing up.

With all of that said take a look at the mobile electronics industry right now. Do you really want to go into a field that has very little business and has been on the decline for the past 5 years? I am only telling you this because I speak from experience and am trying to pass on the hard life lesson I learned without any help. I wasn't smart enough to go around to shops and ask if they had a decent amount of business to keep their guys busy.

Now I'm a 4 year experienced installer with an MECP Firtst Class installer certificate and a Mobile Dynamics graduate with the Most Likely to Suceed award, and I can't find a job at a shop. If that doesn't tell you it's not a good idea to persue this then I don't know what is. I had a job lined up when I moved to NC about 8 months ago and when I got here the owner of the shop said that business had just dropped off too much that he couldn't even hire me part time. All the other shops in the area are the same exact way. This is just something to think about before you shell out the thousands of dollars it takes to go to one of these schools. Sorry about my novel here but I'm trying to help you out.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz