Second Skin Audio

System Not As Loud With Trunk Closed

ok i wish i had sum pics on the computer to show you but i dont so ill do my best to describe it. this is all in a 97 jetta gls. I have 2 15" l5s with dual 4ohm voice coils theyre runnin on 2 zx750.1 wired in parallel. ive done the big 3 and the wire going to the buss bars is 1/0, the wire runnin to the amps is 4, and the amps to subs is 8 guage. my trunk is completly coverd in fatmat in some places its doubled over espicially on the lid. my box is sealed and its about 1.5 cubic feet per sub. the subs are faced into the car right behind the back seats so wen you fold down the seats its just a wall that runs from strut tower to strut tower and from the floor of the trunk to the bottom of the deck so the space is completly takin up. now when the trunk is open its really loud but wen you close the lid you can clearly tell that its not as loud. now wen i close the lid a little i can feel the air rushing out so i dont know if wen its closed its causing some kind of cancellation, or its just the sound deadner or what. if it comes to it i will make some sort of port in the trunk i just wanted to know if this was the fatmat causing this or something else.

thanks fellaz

turn the box to face the rear bumper and keep your seats always folded down

unless you seal off the box completely, u could be getting some weird affects with the unused space in the trunk

pics help a ton

edit* and the fatmat should have raised ur cars peak likely... maybe ur noticing that too... but if you turn the subs around, u give them and the port something to load off of... the rear of the trunk... sometimes this can help if the wave cannot fully develope when facing forward... more space before entering cabin might help, depends how big the box is in comparison to the trunk and trunk opening into cabin

Edited by decafcappucino

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Im having the same issue with my wall. I dont yet have trim panles but with my back door/hatch open its way louder then with it closed :(. I hope doing trim panles fixes that!!!!

1997 2 Door Blazer

Bagged & Body Dropped

SBC/TH350

either seal it off and port/subs forward, or just turn them around so they can load off the trunk

the air is getting swished around, so not only are you losing pressure because the air in the back of the trunk is being compressed and moved, but the pressure waves also come back and cause cancelation and junk

break out the sprayfoam ;)

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

i cant turn the box at all caus its built into the car, but my buddy pointed sum out that might be right. see i fiberglassed my deck but i didnt finish it but i jus threw it in to see how it deaden the sound of the metal deck vibrating and it worked pretty good but see i never put speakers in it to take up the holes so i think that the air from the trunk is coming up thru the deck and thru the holes and cancelling out the sound in the car but when you open the trunk it allows it to go out the trunk easier so not as much sound is cancelld out which makes it louder. i dunno seems logical to me i havent tried it yet but im gettin ready to. i went out and got a cord to my phone so heres some pics so you guys can understand what im working with. thanks again.

img00387.jpg

img00390.jpg

w640.png

img00416.jpg

w640.png

Edited by ryde2idie

Cancelation???? What are you people talking about!?! The subs are in a sealed box pointing forward, what is it going to cancel off of?

Your not getting cancelation. I want you to thinking about how a car is sealed up. The trunk seal is the weakest on the vehicle. It was made to keep weather out, not pressure in (my car leaks pressure very bad where the trunk lid meets the rear glass). As far as using sound deadening in your trunk, it should not change your peak freq. cause of how you have your box placed in the car. Check to see if it sounds louder with the front windows down, I would guess it will. Based on my testing, it will be louder if you push the box all the way back against the truck while still pointing the subs forward.

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs