Second Skin Audio

Sub Got A Little Hot.

mine will also get warm from time to time.

a lot of times its what song I play and which notes are in it and if the song possibly has clipping.

you shouldn't be too worried if you don't smell them then you aren't pushing them too hard.

You dont think im pushing too many watts to it? my birthsheet is at 1400 at about 14.4 volts. (im at about 14.1-14.2.)

As long as you're playing un-clipped music that sub should take 1300 watts all day long, especially with the cooling option.

I would re-check your gain and make doubly sure you aren't clipping. Play a sine wave (-3dB, 45Hz or so) and roll the volume up, you should easily be able to hear it distort if you're clipping.

If you can set gain with an o-scope that's your best bet. Failing that I always set it by ear and double check on a DMM. Setting with a DMM has never given me good results in my experience. Just my two cents.

And since you mentioned nothing of a burning smell chances are the sub is fine, but I would definitely let it cool (and my ears rest) every couple songs if it were me..

2001 Chevy Blazer

(2) SAZ-3000Ds

(2) custom 18" Madmax subs in a second row wall

Rockford 600-4

Pioneer PRS components

Pioneer P800PRS deck

I push 1500 watts on mine between 14 and 14.4 volts.

we got the same options I think I just got bigger size.

smelling them means that you are pushing them too hard and the glue will soon melt along with the coil... of course that is if you let it go for too long.

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

As long as you're playing un-clipped music that sub should take 1300 watts all day long, especially with the cooling option.

I would re-check your gain and make doubly sure you aren't clipping. Play a sine wave (-3dB, 45Hz or so) and roll the volume up, you should easily be able to hear it distort if you're clipping.

If you can set gain with an o-scope that's your best bet. Failing that I always set it by ear and double check on a DMM. Setting with a DMM has never given me good results in my experience. Just my two cents.

And since you mentioned nothing of a burning smell chances are the sub is fine, but I would definitely let it cool (and my ears rest) every couple songs if it were me..

how did you "tune" the amp?

I set the gain with the RF bass knob all the way up and the gain is about 1/2 way up. I did it by ear and the people at the shop have said that it sounded fine, without distortion. and no port noise, or air turbualnce. I dont believe i am playing clipped songs, im just playing music. Jeezy, chicken hill, stuff like that.

alot of songs are clipped if there downloaded mp3's

really? so what would you suggest? like buy cd's? or buy from itunes, cuz i doubt a lot of people do that. So does that mean all those people are risking their amps and subs? for using limewire for example

this is kind of a question and an answer all in one. If the bass knob boosts a certain frequency, with a certain slope, many of which are around 40-45 hz and 12 db slope, If you were to play a test tone higher or lower than that when you set your gains wouldnt that cause the signal to clip when you play the boosted frequency in music because you set your gains at a different frequency?

Edited by Chris from Mi

Orion 2500D, Jbl Gto 75.4

Team Wolfpack Audio FSQ 15" d2, mb quart xover, tweets peerless 6.5 mids

Alpine cda-105

optima up front Knu klm 1/0

really? so what would you suggest? like buy cd's? or buy from itunes, cuz i doubt a lot of people do that. So does that mean all those people are risking their amps and subs? for using limewire for example

itunes now has itunes plus that is supposed to be the bees knees.

you aren't putting them at risk if you take into consideration the clipping and give your amp headroom so it doesn't reach that point.

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

itunes now has itunes plus that is supposed to be the bees knees.

you aren't putting them at risk if you take into consideration the clipping and give your amp headroom so it doesn't reach that point.

sorry if this isnt what you mean, but. I had my gain knob turned higher at the start, cuz it was louder (with the knob). But i didnt want to risk my shit so i turned it down to half. So i think i gave it "headroom".