dwz Posted May 16, 2009 Report Posted May 16, 2009 I know that when you hear a scraping sound with a subwoofer, it could be blown. I noticed that when I push on my subs in the center, there's no scraping. But when I'm pushing around the edges, I hear scraping along the top portions of each cone, and it's a little stiffer. When I push along the bottom, I hear nothing. Is this indicative of anything? Quote
audiofanaticz Posted May 16, 2009 Report Posted May 16, 2009 no, your appling un even pressure on the cone throwing the voicecoil off axis allowing it to rub on the gap of the manet. do this to much you may bend the former/voice coil, or rub thru the voice coil windings. Quote
roscoe1129 Posted May 16, 2009 Report Posted May 16, 2009 yeah you throwing the subs suspension off center when pushing on the side of the cone causing the coil to rub on the motor.... dont do it! Quote Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer Scientia est Vox "In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti" DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!! SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER
dwz Posted May 16, 2009 Author Report Posted May 16, 2009 DAMN!!! That sucks!! How much force does it take to bend it? If I'm hearing a scrape am I already bending it? Quote
audiofanaticz Posted May 16, 2009 Report Posted May 16, 2009 it really depends on the speaker. Something such as DD, DC, FI, AA, are going to have a thicker former which really wont bend, but a cheaper speaker like sony or pioneer (something walmart grade) will bend fairly easy since there is nothing to them and your looking at a former that is thinner then a aluminum can, vs one on my dd for instance that is about 1/8 inch thick. I got a picture of my sub that Ive been abusing the crap out of for the last few months, it will show you what rubbing is/does to your voice coil. just give me a min to get it from my phone Quote
dwz Posted May 16, 2009 Author Report Posted May 16, 2009 it really depends on the speaker. Something such as DD, DC, FI, AA, are going to have a thicker former which really wont bend, but a cheaper speaker like sony or pioneer (something walmart grade) will bend fairly easy since there is nothing to them and your looking at a former that is thinner then a aluminum can, vs one on my dd for instance that is about 1/8 inch thick.I got a picture of my sub that Ive been abusing the crap out of for the last few months, it will show you what rubbing is/does to your voice coil. just give me a min to get it from my phone oh hell yeah quality education man! thanks! Quote
audiofanaticz Posted May 16, 2009 Report Posted May 16, 2009 (edited) That wasnt to great of a pic, so i snapped a couple more qucik Edited May 16, 2009 by Bangin Caddy Quote
dwz Posted May 16, 2009 Author Report Posted May 16, 2009 (edited) Damn other than the VC's lookin fried I'm not sure what to look for. Thanks for the pic, what should I be lookin for? Edit: Unless the coil literally is extending out from where it used to be. The subs don't look that deep on your bed! Edited May 16, 2009 by dwz Quote
audiofanaticz Posted May 16, 2009 Report Posted May 16, 2009 oh hell yeah quality education man! thanks! heh thanks, at least someone appreciates the help note*** this rubbing is not from me just pushing on my cone, so dont be worried about running the speaker right away by doing it a few times. This speaker has been abused on the wall socket, free aired, unloaded in a box almost 4 times to big for it etc.. and it finally gave out last night. No worries tho. Also some speakers brands will rub more/less when you push off center on the cones. This is a good/bad thing, it depends on what your after mostly. A tighter gap in the magnet that the voicecoil glides in and out off will yield a better cone control and power handling, but rub very easily I believe, where as a looser gap wont rub as much, have a tad worse cone control, and not handle power as good. This is what is nice with FI woofers where they give you the option of a daily or spl sub. The spl sub has a tighter gap then the daily. Quote
audiofanaticz Posted May 16, 2009 Report Posted May 16, 2009 Damn other than the VC's lookin fried I'm not sure what to look for. Thanks for the pic, what should I be lookin for?Edit: Unless the coil literally is extending out from where it used to be. The subs don't look that deep on your bed! Its my new bed, went from a waterbed to a really soft sealy matteress. Those 80 pound woofers sink right in just like my fat ass LOL The silver is where the speaker was rubbing, the coils should be looking like copper or copper colored Something like this coil (only mine are flat wound wires not round like traditional speakers) Here is a shot of the speaker on a flat hard surface for ya to show the height. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.