Second Skin Audio

Clam Shell Or Blow Thru, That Is The Question.

I have built many enclosures but I am no pro. This will be the 1st of its kind for me. Im gonna do 8-15"s on roughly 3-4000w rms in a 91 chevy 1500. The last big build I did was 4-RE 18SXs on 10,000w rms (credit to Milo at U.S. Amps) in my 04 Trailblazer EXT. Took a page outta S.M.s book and built it 2 1/2yrs ago. Did 152.8 on a Term Lab the day after the install.Thanx Jim of Pure Pressure Audio here in gainesville,fl. I'm a little intimidated with the clam shell & blow thru's because I have no experience with these designs. The plan is to get it built and running 1st. Then upgrade when I can afford good equiptment. Where do I begin?Im gonna talk to the sub company to properly match the pwr/air space/freq. combination. Im just looking to build another loud "daily driver",not a comp. rig. My TB fired up and was ported out the back. Tuned to 50hz,I loved the way it sounded.LOW and VIOLENT! What is going to be the better design? PS. This is a great site and I really enjoy seeing all these bad ass builds. It helps a grease monkey like me to figure my own stuff out. I can damn near build a small block chevy berfore I get my cut list figure out.lol.

reinforce the dash piece aboce the gauges, infront of the steering wheel, ive seen those break in half, rip them selves off, and a whole hell of alot more.

besides that, a blowthrough would prolly rip ur seats off. :)

24pm3xe.jpg

im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire.

Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block....

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt.

Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon.

MSG Me for a free enclosure design!!

Flared port kits coming soon!!

I have built many enclosures but I am no pro. This will be the 1st of its kind for me. Im gonna do 8-15"s on roughly 3-4000w rms in a 91 chevy 1500. The last big build I did was 4-RE 18SXs on 10,000w rms (credit to Milo at U.S. Amps) in my 04 Trailblazer EXT. Took a page outta S.M.s book and built it 2 1/2yrs ago. Did 152.8 on a Term Lab the day after the install.Thanx Jim of Pure Pressure Audio here in gainesville,fl. I'm a little intimidated with the clam shell & blow thru's because I have no experience with these designs. The plan is to get it built and running 1st. Then upgrade when I can afford good equiptment. Where do I begin?Im gonna talk to the sub company to properly match the pwr/air space/freq. combination. Im just looking to build another loud "daily driver",not a comp. rig. My TB fired up and was ported out the back. Tuned to 50hz,I loved the way it sounded.LOW and VIOLENT! What is going to be the better design? PS. This is a great site and I really enjoy seeing all these bad ass builds. It helps a grease monkey like me to figure my own stuff out. I can damn near build a small block chevy berfore I get my cut list figure out.lol.

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

Clamshell! But I am biased. :)

For a Truck, I would build a Blow through with a topper- just do it where the back window is.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

just my .02 i say clamshell i cant get enough of them i wish i had enough room to do on in my honda but i will just have to say with a wall

new system in the works

(3) DC lvl 4xls 15's (one of three are here)

(2) DD z1 (done)

old kenwood four ch

4 runs of 2/0 (done)

? 200 amp alt may two ??

Im currently in the hospital w/my fiance so I have a little time to figure this set up out. Im looking on craigslist for a topper because Im gonna go w/ the clam shell. Any particular angle the subs should be at? Anybody have an idea what hz to tune for? :huh:

I would say a blowthrough tuned at 35-38 hertz then you will know what lows are, and still get loud.

Yea,I definitely know what "lows" are. My truck flexed enought to rip the roof open and tear both rear door jams about 4". Destroyed the circuit boards in both tail lights weekly,blew the whole center/tag area out of the rear hatch,cracked the gas tank seem open,broke the circuit board in my pioneer/nav unit...All in the first month. Nice way to "break in" a new truck. I will take the advice and tune lower this time. I know it is gonna sound different but is 35hz the # to shoot for w/ the enclosure? I understand that vehicle have different resonance/natural frequency levels. Like I said,this isnt a comp. rig,just a driver. :hairtrick:

Clamshell! But I am biased. :)

For a Truck, I would build a Blow through with a topper- just do it where the back window is.

I just looked at ur build n it was great. Now I have a better idea how to approach mine. Im gonna epoxy/glass,brace,and screw every joint but what do u do at a joint u cannot screw? Does every one use liquid nail an just bond and brace the joints? More of a question for the 81 suburban Im gonna go full tilt on. I dont have any fancy box builder programs so I rely on the sub companys recommendation and the advice of u pro's to get the frequency right. Been real busy running errands for my fiance here in the hospital so I havent made the call to the sub builder but mabey tomorrow. Im still wondering how low to tune the box. I listen to all kinds of music and my TB didnt have any "dead" spots. Trying to shoot for the same here. Build picks will follow when weather/rain permits. Unless it starts raining money. Be nice to have "my own" garage. Is there a particular Hz (range) that does hair tricks best?