How To Build My Amp Racks? What Material?

So I have an idea of what I want to do now, and need to figure out how I'm going to do it, and more importantly make it symmetrical with the other side (two amp racks in the sidewalls)

What material would I use to rough it out and get an idea of how it will fit, and furthermore, what materials would I use to build the final rack/frame? I was thinking of using some 1/2" square dowel or similar. Once it's in place I would be making a fiberglass cover, which is a whole other project altogether :)

I need some advice here I've never done anything like this, and it's measuring stuff with the curves that get me.

Is there anything I need to do to my trunk? should I clean anything out like the factory sound dampening stuff?

I don't have anything left over from my boxes, I used that already :)

I think I will probably go with the square dowel, and build the frame out of that, put a piece of plywood over it to mount the amp, and then build the rest of the frame work according to the trunk. I think I have a couple of places I can bolt it too.

What do I do when I fiberglass it, I want the fiberglass, or the unit itself to be removable. how would I attach the cloth to the car body to glass it? I can't staple it into metal, and I don't think tape would hold it very tightly. Would I actually need to build some form of "box" to mount the frame to?

could somehow get creative with mounting some kind of vertical braces to the floor if you make that out of something thicker than the factory stuff. ive been kind of wondering myself but i found a place where the jack/toolbox was in my trunk. factory mounts and bolts FTW! but you could use some L brackets to make it stronger too. then make the rest around the mounts

Archived