Should I Be So Scared About Fiberglassing?

I don't know why but for some reason I am intimidated by the thought of trying to fiberglass something. I have used glass only once, about 5 years ago, when I used it to reinforce my customized front grill on my Accord. If any tuners in here, I did the Type R mod to my grill and in doing so was left with an opening the shape of a V on both sides of the grill. I put the velcro on the back side of each opening to give more strength to the grill and to give a base on which to apply bondo so I could fill in the opening. The grill came out perfectly although it did take a bit of sanding and reapplying bondo to get it knocked down just right.

Now I am getting ready to do a system in my Monte Carlo and when I had installed my Rainbow components in my front doors I had to cut the basket in the door that the speaker gets mounted in.

30nb22f.jpg

If you look closely you can see the trace lines that show where I had to cut in order to get the speaker to sit flush

This is the outcome

e6rvix.jpg

Needless to say, I need to do something to remedy that before I put in my CDT's and I thought about fiberglassing some custom pods to seal up the enclosure but I have no idea how to go about doing that, not to mention how intimidated I am about actually trying it.

Am I unnecessarily scared or is it something that's better left to the pro's? How would I go about doing such a thing? Any help would be appreciated.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

no need to be scared, id suggest doin some reading on tims(groundpounders) section. dif projects will give ya more of an idea with working with dif materials like plastic, resin dont stick well to plastic by its own so good thing is to drill a few holes in the plastic for it to hold better. follow the instructions on mixin the resin and hardener and make sure to have a plan and everything set out you will be using/needing before mixing cuz it can setup pretty fast. the more you use the stuff the more you will get the hang of it. no worries at all mang :D

i was worried the first time i messed with it...actually turned out a million times better than i had expected!! just read up a bit, check out a few builds on here, take it slow at first and you will get the hang of it! if you decide to do it post up plenty of pics!!!

moose

J.A.M AUDIO

Owner

North Texas

Authorized DC Sound Lab Dealers

m_8e0e9deb0e2a020a7ff1bf0d3a6c3306.jpg

groundpounders-sig-1.jpg

Look at the bright side, doing it yourself is not expensive so you can afford to mess up and every time you do its something you have learned.

Only way you are going to get it right is by messing up a few times first and learning so go buy some resin and have some fun. :)

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sub Amp:American Bass VFL 500.1

Subs: 4 Fi BL 18's

Enclosure:21.5 Cubic foot flat wall tuned to 40 hz

Batteries: 3 Kinetik 2400's in the back, Kinetik 1200 under hood.

Mids & Highs: 4 Kicker DS 6.5 coax in doors, 2 Kicker DS coax in pillars

Highs Amp: Kicker kx250.2, kx100.2

Wire: 4 Runs 1/0 gauge Knukonceptz

Look at the bright side, doing it yourself is not expensive so you can afford to mess up and every time you do its something you have learned.

Only way you are going to get it right is by messing up a few times first and learning so go buy some resin and have some fun. :)

well put :D

agreed.

J.A.M AUDIO

Owner

North Texas

Authorized DC Sound Lab Dealers

m_8e0e9deb0e2a020a7ff1bf0d3a6c3306.jpg

groundpounders-sig-1.jpg

Man fear not the fiberglass just take it slow and do your home work. Groundpounder's section is a full of good info just keep the faith and have fun with it that the most important part!

The Shoe Maker without shoes!

The first couple of times I did some fiberglassing it got everywhere so don't forget to wear very old clothes. The kind you can put straight in the trash when you are finished.

HU: Pioneer

Highs: 2X 4X6"s, 2X 3.5"s, 4X 5.25" comps, Q-Logic kicks, and a Sundown SAX-125.2

Subs: 4 Nightshade 15s and Strapped SAZ-3500Ds <---Sundown FTW good.gif

Electrical: dual DC Power 320s (ordered) and 2 D3400s up frt and 4 D2700s in the back

.ʇı ɥʇıʍ ʞɔnɟ ʇ,uɐɔ noʎ 'ʞɔıp ǝɹos ɐ ǝʞı1 sı uʍopunS

26d2fe1a.jpg0969b13f.jpg343030b8.jpg

Alright, time to read grounpounders section so I can hopefully get a little more comfortable with the thought of doing it. Thanks for the advice and rest assured, I'll definitely post up a work log when (notice I didn't say "if") I decide to go for it.

So any ideas on how to go about sealing this up/building an enclousure?