Second Skin Audio

1500 Watts To A 15" Fi Q?

turn the gain down to 1000wrms and you should be fine

Why do people insist on saying you can control how many watts are coming out of your amp by turning the gain up or down? The gain is used to match the output voltage of the headunit to the input voltage of the amp. It is not a wattage controller.

TDH FTW !!!

Why don't you just get a sub that can take watts like a bl why does have to be a q??

I think i can run it on 800 wrms, foud a realy cheap amp Mutant 800.1 monoblock for 2000 swedish kronor witch is about $250

Why do people insist on saying you can control how many watts are coming out of your amp by turning the gain up or down? The gain is used to match the output voltage of the headunit to the input voltage of the amp. It is not a wattage controller.

im not saying to turn the gain UP. im saying to turn the gain down. yes the gain knob is used to match the preout voltage on the headunit, but if you turn the gain down on the amp, you can control how much power you want out of the amp (meaning if you dont go into clipping by turning the knob up).

lets say you have a 4000rms amp and your sub can only take 1500rms. you turn the gain down from your amp to output LESS power.

im not saying to turn the gain UP. im saying to turn the gain down. yes the gain knob is used to match the preout voltage on the headunit, but if you turn the gain down on the amp, you can control how much power you want out of the amp (meaning if you dont go into clipping by turning the knob up).

lets say you have a 4000rms amp and your sub can only take 1500rms. you turn the gain down from your amp to output LESS power.

"Dear Krannyman92:

NOPPPE NOPPPE...See when i have my gain up it does nothing to the signal from the cdplayer. So if i have the gain dial all the way up...and try for max volume bah may amp cuts out.and duh fuses blow..but if i have it down about a quarter turn I can play it all the way at 50 and its running clean...?!?!?!?! How'd this happen. I can obviously tell the volume is much lower the one way..but it doesnt seem loud cause the gain isnt all the way up.

Thanks"

Im currently running a md2d on a 15Q with BP, 1ohm...~1400w. The sub handles extremely well EXCEPT on lower tones(28-33hz) at this power. Tune away from those if your running close to 1.5k on it.

".......Cut spending to only the bare essentials, water and bread...and margaritas...Yaay "-Mr. Marsh

95 camry:

JVC Deck

15" Fi Q in a fail prefab box

US-Amps Merlin Md2d

"Doin' that Work

I have a rockford t1000-1bd that was rated at 1380 at 1ohm 14.4v, running my 15" Q with BP softparts in a 3.4ft^3 box... all gains set with an oscope... slightly clipped. And when I'm really wanging on it after about 3minutes I can start to smell the sub heating up pretty good. I also have a powermaster alternator and a yellow top... with those my voltage sites at about 13.8-14.2 when wanging on it.

With that being said... I wouldn't put much over 1200-1300 to a Q.

Edited by Shyne151

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

I have a rockford t1000-1bd that was rated at 1380 at 1ohm 14, running my 15" Q with BP softparts in a 3.4ft^3 box... all gains set with an oscope... slightly clipped. And when I'm really wanging on it after about 3minutes I can start to smell the sub heating up pretty good. I also have a powermaster alternator and a yellow top... with those my voltage sites at about 13.8-14.2 when wanging on it.

With that being said... I wouldn't put much over 1200-1300 to a Q.

Well with that being said, I'm wired for that but that dont mean I see it all the time..I don't push it hard at all now considering the box I have mine in :censored:

".......Cut spending to only the bare essentials, water and bread...and margaritas...Yaay "-Mr. Marsh

95 camry:

JVC Deck

15" Fi Q in a fail prefab box

US-Amps Merlin Md2d

"Doin' that Work

Gah. Of course you can control the power output of the amp with the gain pot. Your headunit can only output a certain maximum amount of voltage so if you tweak the gain so that the amp only makes x watts when you have the headunit at it's maximum output then your amp will never exceed that wattage @__@

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!