Second Skin Audio

Forget building a new box-- something is wrong I need Help

So I pulled it out today.. not good i cant find anything wrong with the box or ne of the subs, all the subs ohm out good so i havnt lost a coil but when the volume goes up it sounds VERY BAD like the subs are blown or playing free air or something idk! I pulled the remote wire what can i do?

and the amp whines a lil when i start the car, the ground is all good im out of idears plz help

"anyway i was wankin' on my way to work as usual and i turned it down a bit at the stop light. when turning it back up it sounded very different to the ear. at least enuff to be like wtf??!?

i tested all the speaker wires and each sub comes out to 2ohm, and i cant notice anything out of wak with the box ie:. broken panel/ collapse or and thing wrong with ne of the subs."

ps-i know i started a new thread about something tht i had already posted but the title of my post didnt really shed light on my problem at hand.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...mp;#entry682907

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

i recommend to test your amp... if u got a spare or have a friend with an amp... test your subs on a different amp with approx. the same power and see if it still sounds bad when you turn it up.... what equipment are you using?

My first truck... My first Real build...

*Update 8/9/10 DC Power 270xp Alt is In!!!*

1997 Toyota T-100 DC Level 5 18" in a T-line

Everybody wants their system to be....

1. Cheap

2. Reliable

3. Loud

...you can only pick two.

micahmye hertz pack

What are your gains set like? Is the box sealed or ported? What amp and what subs? Did you check the voltage at the point you grounded the amp? IF no then you cant besure your ground is fine.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

Dunno, if it is all the problem....but maybe some port noise... or maybe gains set to high

thats all i can think of right now

Edited by shainemcconnell

2010 IDBL Rookie 1 North American Champion

2009 IDBL Rookie 1 Fl State Champion

2009 EBB Fly Weight 3rd Place Fl State Finals

2006 Silver Grand Prix GXP :Diablo Audio Hellfire 1000.1, JL Audio 300/4, One 13W7, ZR650, VR690, JL Cleansweep setup.

Team Pure Pressure

dat12.jpgkonfused22copyn.gif

logottu.jpgproductimage.jpgpoweringlogosm.jpg

Thanks for the replies all of you. umm as in the link from the orig post my setup is :

Sundown SAZ3000D on 4 PA Fubar 12's @ .5 ohm 0 guage wiring, stock bat + K1400 the electrical is not at all the best or even ideal, but as far as gains the gain is at 75%, subsonic at 20hz , low pass at 80hz or so these are approx values of course. Ive been running the setup for awhile now and its all been fine till now the gains are good port is solid at least ive pushed/pulled and its solid.

box is ported btw the amp stays on doesnt go into protect ill check my ground my fuse under the hood and voltage of the bats and at the amp and post that.

really thanks again for the help its greatly appreciated.

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

unless you have a Multimeter or scope..you might not want your gain that High maybe 50-55%$ until you can get a meter on it...sundowns are good but such a low ohm load for a daily driver. might be pushing it a bit with it set that high.. BUt I dunno

2006 Silver Grand Prix GXP :Diablo Audio Hellfire 1000.1, JL Audio 300/4, One 13W7, ZR650, VR690, JL Cleansweep setup.

Team Pure Pressure

back ur gains way off. Running an amp of that size at that low of a load will KILL youre electrical system. You arent feeding the amp enough power so that it can make the power you want it to. you are going to need HO alt and a few batts for that. 75%, that sounds like you have it set way too high. If you have a DMM id suggest using it to set your gains. Dont set them to make it put out 3kw, your electrical cant make 3kw, especially at .5 ohms.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

yea my 12v voltage is resting car off at 12.65 at the amp and as well as at both bats after voltage drop it prolly isnt pretty. As far as setting the gains using my dmm idk really how to the gain setting at 75% is just a general thing i read. when a buddy and me clamped it on music, which i know is kinda irrelavent to clamp on music i was seeing around 2200 or so. i want to get a K2400 but apparantly kinetik is out of them.... or at least another 1400 SOMETHING. after toying around a bit im starting to think ive got major box flex issues or something similar somewhere. @ low volume things sounds normal at around vol 25 it sounds very dif which is why i had become concerned to begin with. but if i turn it up to higher volumes you can def hear what seems to me like mdf rattle but when i checked the box earlier today i couldnt get it to budge (manually of course). either that or my trunk shelf in the back window finally gave up and came loose even though i cant find any new rattles or openings that might change the sound dramatically. I was just worried that it was an equip issue and a box issue would be much less of an issue for me.

i got a month or something till the maxxonics event coming up it would be my first show. my spl my not be pretty but it would be for the experience and possibly getting more involved in competing.

I know the electrical is not good, but i never went into protect or anything and if i wired up to 2 ohms to reduce the load -- i just plan on going 139.9 class and at 2 ohms idk if id have enough head room to make it as it would be my first event and my starts might not be pretty so i would lose the extra headroom i had at .5 ohm to "catch up" if i ran at 2ohms...

i cant find the box flex as of right now so what else could cause a much different sound especially at low freq notes?

Edited by P4killer_

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

yea my 12v voltage is resting car off at 12.65 at the amp and as well as at both bats after voltage drop it prolly isnt pretty. As far as setting the gains using my dmm idk really how to the gain setting at 75% is just a general thing i read. when a buddy and me clamped it on music, which i know is kinda irrelavent to clamp on music i was seeing around 2200 or so. i want to get a K2400 but apparantly kinetik is out of them.... or at least another 1400 SOMETHING. after toying around a bit im starting to think ive got major box flex issues or something similar somewhere. @ low volume things sounds normal at around vol 25 it sounds very dif which is why i had become concerned to begin with. but if i turn it up to higher volumes you can def hear what seems to me like mdf rattle but when i checked the box earlier today i couldnt get it to budge (manually of course). either that or my trunk shelf in the back window finally gave up and came loose even though i cant find any new rattles or openings that might change the sound dramatically. I was just worried that it was an equip issue and a box issue would be much less of an issue for me.

i got a month or something till the maxxonics event coming up it would be my first show. my spl my not be pretty but it would be for the experience and possibly getting more involved in competing.

I know the electrical is not good, but i never went into protect or anything and if i wired up to 2 ohms to reduce the load -- i just plan on going 139.9 class and at 2 ohms idk if id have enough head room to make it as it would be my first event and my starts might not be pretty so i would lose the extra headroom at had at .5 ohm to "catch up" if i ran at 2ohms...

i cant find the box flex as of right now so what else could cause a much different sound especially at low freq notes?

Go to the DC Power Inc section, get a hold of Robbie and ask him for the batt and an alt. he can get both. The batt alone won't do you any good. Big 3, bigger alt and a batt. 75% seems way to high. Theres a chart floating around here in the amplifier section.

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown

I know the electrical is not good, but i never went into protect or anything and if i wired up to 2 ohms to reduce the load -- i just plan on going 139.9 class and at 2 ohms idk if id have enough head room to make it as it would be my first event and my starts might not be pretty so i would lose the extra headroom at had at .5 ohm to "catch up" if i ran at 2ohms...

port noise will have a good bit to do with that...will kind of sound like a flapping sound...from what I have heard. the ratio of height to width is kind of high. usually want to keep the ratio to below 7 (i think) in general, your ratio is like 14. also routing the edges of the port might help some. Look into using aero ports and see if that is a possibility for you.

Team Pure Pressure