Second Skin Audio

Best Box Tuning For A Fi BTL 15"

I want to get the best sound possible out of a 15" BTL on Sundown SAZ 2000, by still being able to hit lows very well. I just want it to be overall loud inside and out of the car. Should I tune my box to 32 hz (recommended by fi) or 34/35 hz? By the way, this is going to be a trunk car for a 4 door sedan. Let me know what would work best

Black 1998 Nissan Maxima
1st Setup: 145.8 DB Outlaw @37 HZ On Music Out Of Trunk
2nd Setup: 147.8 DB @42 HZ On Music Out The Trunk
Current Trunk Build:
153.8 DB Outlaw @ 49 HZ Out the trunk (150.8 DB Sealed)
Team gg.

3 cubes @ 34 hz

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

i was thinking 4-4.5 cubes @ 32, 33, 34, 35 hz, but why a smaller box?

Black 1998 Nissan Maxima
Current Trunk Build:
Team gg.

smaller boxes help yield higher output and power handling, althought you lose a little on the low end response. i'd tune to 35/36 hz. i used to tune around the 30's, and this current setup is tuned around 35/36 and i get just as good of a response on the lows, and overall better sound altogether.

smaller boxes help yield higher output and power handling, althought you lose a little on the low end response. i'd tune to 35/36 hz. i used to tune around the 30's, and this current setup is tuned around 35/36 and i get just as good of a response on the lows, and overall better sound altogether.

So would you say 3-3.5 cubes would sound better?

Black 1998 Nissan Maxima
Current Trunk Build:
Team gg.

just depends on your preference. if you would rather it be low low 4-4.5 would work but like expo said smaller boxes get louder while handling power better.

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

yeah somewhere between 3-3.5 after displacement.. i think i had 4 cubes on my 15" btls. if i could do it again, i'd put them in a smaller enclosure. my 18's are in 4 cubes per sub right now and i'm a very happy camper.

Archived