no voltage increase from 3

You won't see any gain with no load on it. Load it down and you'll see a difference.

I took it out of the hood and I played my music for a little bit and when I revved it to 2k and played it would pretty much stay at 13v. thats all I got out of it though. I will hook up my voltage meter tomorrow or Friday and see though

at least seeing those thick wires knowing they should make the electrical flow better, should make you feel better hahah

haha but I need to see some more results other than pretty colors under my hood ;)

I have watched the volt meter on my thunderbird (1995 old as battery, but its got a v8 :) ) anyway, when i use my power windows i watch it just dip from point to point not slowly go down and back up. It jumps so i doubt you would be able to really notice a small change in voltage on a needle. use a dmm and set your volt meter up to the battery and set the volt meter to that voltage. = Much better than a needle

And that yellow top should rest at about 13 volt, not be at it during 2k rpm, i would look at the alternator and how old is the battery?

I have watched the volt meter on my thunderbird (1995 old as battery, but its got a v8 :) ) anyway, when i use my power windows i watch it just dip from point to point not slowly go down and back up. It jumps so i doubt you would be able to really notice a small change in voltage on a needle. use a dmm and set your volt meter up to the battery and set the volt meter to that voltage. = Much better than a needle

yeah I can't wait to hook it up. Gotta go up to my buddies shop and use some of his 18 awg and his multimeter n stuff. :spiteful:

and I sit at about 13.8v on my yellow top

I have had the battery for like a year and a half but I had the battery and alternator tested a month and a half ago and they were both perfect. The guy said my yellow top was almost 100%

its conected to teh fuse panel which ever circuit was not being used and had consitant power when the key was turned on i think thats what i did not to sure i know it reads the same as the dmm so.. it works for me!

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

if your alt only charges to 13.8 you will never get any higher, no mater how much wire you add. the big 3 isnt for getting a HIGHER voltage. just better flow. if you had that volt meter hooked up b4 the big 3 you could have seen how much your voltage was dipping and compare it to after the big 3.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

if your alt only charges to 13.8 you will never get any higher, no mater how much wire you add. the big 3 isnt for getting a HIGHER voltage. just better flow. if you had that volt meter hooked up b4 the big 3 you could have seen how much your voltage was dipping and compare it to after the big 3.

^^^not true. my alternator charges to 13.8 and when its cold out i get 13.9 and sometimes 14

but when its hot out i get a constant 13.7/8 and sometimes 13.9

and before the big three i was only seeing 13.5/6

to the OP. just be happy you even see 14 volts and higher. alot of newer cars only see 13.5-13.8

I didn't GAIN any voltage- at least not on my little meter.

but efficiency when it dips drastically increases, my voltage would FIGHT to stay at that mark instead of dipping and rising slowly like it did before the big III

-Drew

This is what you will pretty much see from doing the big 3.

Your stock alt might be fuked. Start your car and disconnect your battery and see what your alt is charging at. because form your voltage being as low as it is, it seems like you my have damaged your alternator.

Edit: I missed the part where you said you got it tested. But I'm sure you should be seeing 14.4v. I mean because your car is new doesn't mean you should be charging that low. you charge that high to assure that you give your battery a proper charge.

Archived