Whats the difference between passive and active?

active: signal processing before amplification

passive: signal processing after amplification

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

^^ this guy ha ha. I hope i don't see your ass asking for help. Wait im sure you know everything. You don't need help. This forum is here for this reason. I searched. Yes i did. Obviously i didn't find anything under the search results with your name on it. I forget YOU use GOOGLE!! "Ever heard of google"... ha ha your great. Thanks for the help man. You definitely wasted two minutes of your time quoting and responding to the post. Im sure google could use some customer service. Call them they may be hiring. You would be their number one candidate.
I ask for help all the time, not afraid to do so

I'm also not afraid to use google either, how hard is it to type in "active xover passive xover" and click search? You would have thousands of hits in a fraction of a second and wouldn't have to come here asking a question that's been asked time and time again. You should have done a search here too and would have gotten your answer that way as well.

Did you even bother to click on the link I provided in my initial response or did diarrhea of the mouth overtake you?

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

Examples:

Active xover:

EQX.jpg

Passive xover:

Passive_Crossover_for_Car_HIFI_.jpg

I just remember that active you can adjust and control and passive is normal fixed to a certain cut off frequency.

This is what i needed. I will be running a memphis eqp4 so i guess that will mean active. Thanks a bunch man.

I ask for help all the time, not afraid to do so

I'm also not afraid to use google either, how hard is it to type in "active xover passive xover" and click search? You would have thousands of hits in a fraction of a second and wouldn't have to come here asking a question that's been asked time and time again. You should have done a search here too and would have gotten your answer that way as well.

Did you even bother to click on the link I provided in my initial response or did diarrhea of the mouth overtake you?

No i read it but i wasn't getting what everyone was saying about active and passive. This is why i wanted more info on it. I just needed it broke down to the simplest form. Then i will learn all the lingo. Sorry about not exactly putting out there what i needed in the first place.

03 350Z

Ah, you wanted to know the difference in the physical form? Well, it took a few posts but you got what you needed.

Ah, you wanted to know the difference in the physical form? Well, it took a few posts but you got what you needed.

Exactly, and i couldn't find it anywhere! ha ha. But, now that i got it everything else that everyone was saying makes total sense! Thats about right!! HA ha. Thanks again guys. Sorry about the dispute SQMonte. Im sarcastic and a smart ass i don't mean anything by it though.

03 350Z

look up pioneer 880prs. can run active with that without any other processing.

same with the sundown 100.4 amp. you can run 2 way active with only the onboard crossovers

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

Exactly, and i couldn't find it anywhere! ha ha. But, now that i got it everything else that everyone was saying makes total sense! Thats about right!! HA ha. Thanks again guys. Sorry about the dispute SQMonte. Im sarcastic and a smart ass i don't mean anything by it though.
It's all good mayne
look up pioneer 880prs. can run active with that without any other processing.
Yep, that's how i'm going 3 way active with my setup

An EQP4 doesn't mean you're running active...

Active is where there's nothing between the speaker and the amplifier except wire. If you put a crossover inline then you're running passive. Doesn't matter if it's off an amp, a headunit, or a pile of 25 EQP4's.

In active the filtering of frequencies (highs to tweeter and so on) is all done before the amplifier. It's more efficient and much much more tuneable.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

An EQP4 doesn't mean you're running active...

Active is where there's nothing between the speaker and the amplifier except wire. If you put a crossover inline then you're running passive. Doesn't matter if it's off an amp, a headunit, or a pile of 25 EQP4's.

In active the filtering of frequencies (highs to tweeter and so on) is all done before the amplifier. It's more efficient and much much more tuneable.

Thanks for clearing up any misconceptions