Sonic Electronix

Agree or disagree ? (deadening thing)

So, I was at a reputable stereo place in Sac last week, and I gave a demo of my setup to a young guy that worked there. I told him beforehand > I want you to be critical as $#!+. Don't try to make me feel good... If you here anything you don't like, please tell me.

So, I play some SQ type of stuff... then I play Ying Yang Twins - Salt Shaker.

So I turn it back down and again I tell him, "now be totally critical".

The guy says, your bass sounds really good, tight, clean, and deep. Your overall balance sounds pretty good too. But your mids / highs sound kind of harsh, and tinny. Okay. Fair enough. I told him, some music sounded better.... but some worse. I asked about a 3Sixty.2 to fix the problem {like maybe I had a frquency spike issue going on} but he didn't sound so confident. He asked what brand of components I have. Polk Audios > with soft dome tweets {which should not sound harsh}.

So, we talk for a little while longer, and I mention that I'll probably get my doors deadened when I get my 8" mid-bass drivers relocated to them..... and he looks at me and says, "Dude, you don't have yours doors deadened" ??? I'm like, "Well not yet, but I definately plan to". At which point the guy says, "Before you do anything else, you really need to deaden those doors. Right now, it's like your mids / highs are mounted inside a coffee can. It's no wonder they sound tinny !

Now, you guys with sound deadening experience, do you think this guy was correct ? I mean, I know deadening will help with some things, but do you think it will make harsh mids + highs smoother too ?

Crossing my fingers. Can't really afford Focals, or Rainbows or whatever TF is supposed to be the shiz....

Peace,

Fish

the most critical thing IMO for deadening.

I don't have no focals or rainbows lol I have the Bose setup and deadening improved my SQ by a lot.

I actually had some midbass and my tweeters up in the a-pillars (stock location) got very loud.

make sure you get the deadening behind the mid if anything at all because there are excess sound waves that go around the speaker and the deadening helps to reflect them back forward out to the listening area.

it doesn't even need to be some expensive deadening just something to stop flex.

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

Yes, for me deadening and door treatment did almost as much as putting in seperate speakers instead of coaxials. Definitely take care of the doors first before investing money in more speakers.

2001 Chevy Blazer

(2) SAZ-3000Ds

(2) custom 18" Madmax subs in a second row wall

Rockford 600-4

Pioneer PRS components

Pioneer P800PRS deck

the most critical thing IMO for deadening.

I don't have no focals or rainbows lol I have the Bose setup and deadening improved my SQ by a lot.

I actually had some midbass and my tweeters up in the a-pillars (stock location) got very loud.

make sure you get the deadening behind the mid if anything at all because there are excess sound waves that go around the speaker and the deadening helps to reflect them back forward out to the listening area.

it doesn't even need to be some expensive deadening just something to stop flex.

x2 - night and day difference :dj:

06 2500hd, 6.0L, 4l80e, 4wd, (muah work truck)

7" BDS HC lift kit

(5) 37x13.5R18 Toyo Open Country M/Ts

(5) 18x10 Moto Metal MO962

tablet in lieu of deck

blue tooth interconnect to soundstream eq (for volume control and bass control)

4 Alpine type r 10's

6 cubes net, 80sqin's port, tuned to 33hz

2 brutus brx5000.5's

2 pairs 3" polk audio for a pillars

4 pairs polk audio 6.5 comps

1 pair 8" polk audio for mids

2 xspower d3400 batteries

.....learning alot from meade and his circle of some of the baddest installers ive seen- thanks guys, for not being so cocky and posting the way it should be done!

P.S. Thanks Steve....for the demo!!!! loud as fauk!

Right on.

Damn, at this point, I have to admit something;

In the past, I've not put a lot of weight in the whole deadening thing. I knew it made some difference with some things, but I felt like a lot of guys were overestimating the benefits.

In fact, I still think when you see some of those guys on the SQ forums saying, "Started my build"..... so you open it up to see a hollowed out vehicle, with nothing but foil wrapping 3 layers deep..... and so you check back a week later, still no speakers, or amps... but now the foil is 6 layers deep... a month later, its 9 layers deep, but the guy is out of cash... so the stereo equipment will have to wait. So will driving the vehicle. Good thing the guy owns a scooter" ;-)

Okay, probably not too many guys like that, but I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about.

Deadening probably will help more than I previously thought..... but so will some good speakers, correct enclosures, and fat-ass amplifiers :-)

Peace,

Fish

you can easily over do it as well if you are a big SPL guy.

I was reading someones write up this guy had a TL and would put a layer down and burp and it would be increase then another layer burp increase then another layer and it stayed the same or decreased.

but doors definitely or anywhere you put a speaker put deadening behind it.

your subs will like the deadening too don't forget that ;)

less flex means more SPL!

EDIT: gramma

Edited by thehoe92

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

you mean gutted like this

tattoosounddeadener038.jpg

Edited by trainman0978

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties