Second Skin Audio

6th order bandpass??

i'm researching this now, as i'm trying to learn how to design a 4th or 6th order myself and see if i can fit it behind my back seats. from what i understand, 6th order bandpasses have a narrow bandwidth of frequencies they play. as do 4th orders, unless designed spot on. as do most bandpasses. tho i believe team maxxonics is (or was) using a 6th order in bassrace. i read a thread on termpro about it but i think it was an old one.

so basically from the looks of it, it's good for SPL, but maybe not so good for music. but that's what i'm tryin to read up on still. 4th order may be a better road to travel for a musical box. but i'd still like to try a 6th order for music myself as well but i doubt i'll have the room for that. i have almost 24 cubes to work with tho so we'll see

i'm researching this now, as i'm trying to learn how to design a 4th or 6th order myself and see if i can fit it behind my back seats. from what i understand, 6th order bandpasses have a narrow bandwidth of frequencies they play. as do 4th orders, unless designed spot on. as do most bandpasses. tho i believe team maxxonics is (or was) using a 6th order in bassrace. i read a thread on termpro about it but i think it was an old one.

so basically from the looks of it, it's good for SPL, but maybe not so good for music. but that's what i'm tryin to read up on still. 4th order may be a better road to travel for a musical box. but i'd still like to try a 6th order for music myself as well but i doubt i'll have the room for that. i have almost 24 cubes to work with tho so we'll see

Very true. If you build a 4th or 6th order, a sub swap will majorly alter the performance and range of frequencies played. They are extremely picky on the fs, vas, and qts of a particular sub depending on the S factor (asuming .7 for widest flat responce frequency range for music)

EDIT: I'm not really sure how a sub swap would effect performance on any other S factor than .7 (haven't played with a peaky bp yet)

Edited by footlongsam

--Sampson cool.gif

816-591-6592

www.kcrimshop.com

i thought 6th orders had a better musical response than a 4th order would peak higher at one note and fall off on anything else?

Depends entirely on how they are designed and the subs they are designed for.

They can both be designed to be very peaky at a certain frequency (.5 S factor, I've never played with) and they can also both be designed to have a flat responce on a wide range of frequencies (.7 S factor, some experience, by far not a pro)

Edited by footlongsam

--Sampson cool.gif

816-591-6592

www.kcrimshop.com

Why build a bandpass for your bandpass/vehicle?

Any bandpass is pretty much a "one note" box. Ask the guys that have one and they respond "this song sounds good and this other song sounds good and the bass hits just right on this song"

Having to deal with a crappy song just because the bass hits "just right" ain't fun in my book.

Like being a rap fan knowing your system kicks crazy on country...barf.

You will measure out at least 20 diffrent subs for a bandpass, before you come to the conclusion that most of the subs mentioned on this site is the ticket. Subs with tons of excursion work very well in your "existing" bandpass box/vehicle.

NOW if your going for all out SPL, then that's your game.

Hope this helps.

93' Ford Aerostar

Alpine head unit

4-5.25 MB Quarts

20-10" pyramids super Pro

1 Lanzar amp

band passes can be musical and play pretty flat

my 4th order played flat from 28hz all the way to 80 peeked at 51 hz from 40-60 hz would do over 150

my 6th order from 35 to 80 peeked at 61

mine played any thing you could throw at it