first competition please help

Hey guys. I am so excited and nervous at the same time. I am getting in my first comp this weekend! I have been wanting to compete since I was 18 years old and I am finally gonna do it at age 30. I was hoping that you all can help me with a few questions because I have no clue what to do but I know you guys have alot of knowledge so I couldnt think of anyone else to turn to. One of my really good friends from team sundown will be there as well and will help me a ton but here are my questions.

1. without a meter to test and tune on, can I get a good idea of what song to use just by ear?

2. will I also be able to do the same to figure out if my box should be facing upward or backwards?

3. I found my resonate frequency over a year ago, and think it was 49 hertz but dont remember for sure. Does that sound high or realistic?

4. How does the comp work? how long do I have to play for and should I play the whole time or just a ?burp???

5. should I keep my foot on the gas a little bit to get my rpm's up to about 2000?

6. is it true that I should run my a/c for a little bit before I drop the knob? I heard that if the cab has cold air in it, it will move more

7. frequency is correct, do I want a song that plays that note exactly? or higher? or lower?

8. Termp's rules said that I have to play music and not sweeps. Does bass mekanik qualify as "music"?

9. in between runs, should I keep my radio off?

10. should I have my volume set to normal listening volume, or higher?

11. Should I turn my gain up higher? right now I have it set to blend with my mids and highs but think I have more room to go up. Its set at about 25% right now.

I know that is alot of questions. I apologize for asking so much at once. I really appreciate it guys. Thanks in advance!

my best advice is to do a sweep with your first run, ask the judge where you peaked at. Then do a burp around that frq. ex if they say you peak at 48 start at about 46 and go to about 50.

Yep, unless you can get one on one time with a meter then just run a sinesweep, all of which can be downloaded freely here: http://www.burninwave.com/

Then burn em to disk

Ps. Run the 20-200hz your subs will play best in the 35-80 range depending on your box and crossover setting

Edited by Cr@sh

Eeek, no, don't play a 20-200 sweep. If you do that at full tilt you will ruin the shit out of your subs. Play the 40-80hz sweep on the DB Jams disc. Someone will have one.

i never play sweep full tilts lol thats jus askin for sumtthin to happen.. use the sweep at half volume or so and get a estimate on where ur peak at and then burp full tilt for each hz in that range to find the best

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

i dont even do a sweep. i start at 5 hz higher than tuning, and play one for a couple seconds, then move up. about 10 o more times, then he'll tell me where i peak. may not be the best...but if i tune at 35 hz, i dont see myself peaking under 40 in my car.

also, i'll bring my scope and meters and tools tomorrow to set your gains. if we get there early enough we can tweak some shits on your shits. i wouldnt turn it up to the point of clipping, but get it to where it should be.

49 hz sounds realistic. i think explorers are in the high 40's to low 50's range. at least a guy at a shop told me that they like the 50's one time

i think any commercially available cd is considered music. tho...i think one or more of bass mechaniks cd's are not allowed, but dont quote me on that.

and x2 on asking questions. dont go first, see how things play out. ask a few people questions on how to do it. i'm sure greg will give you a quick rundown on things.