Question about my "IP ADDRESS" and this forum?

Tag, i'm it. So your internet service provider gives you a lease on your IP. It might be 3 hours, 2 hours, 24 hours, 3 days, but what happens is it takes that IP and then gives you a new one. Only exception is if you buy a dedicated line, like a T line, or the ever so tasty OC line.

Without a router, you'll connect directly to the internet with this IP.

With a router there's a little twist. See what happens is you have your line in from the internet, and then the line to your computer. Your router says OK, i have X amount of computers. I'm going to take your external IP (the one your ISP gave you) and I'm going to break it up for the X amount of computers so they all can connect. I'm going to NAT (network address translation) some IPs for you. Most of your routers are going to be a 192.168 - that's the standard class C NAT addressing. So internally you'll have 192.168.1.xxx for your computers, xxx being from 2 to 254 (1 is reserved for the router, 255 is reserved for subnetting)

Back to your router, your "always on" means just that. Disable means you can turn it off, and shut off during inactivity means if no packets are being transferred, it goes into a sleep mode.

and lanman = local area network man :) i live and breathe networking, hardware and software daily for my work.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti Scion 600.4

4 - Lanzar Optidrive 1232D's

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6C midbass

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

Tag, i'm it. So your internet service provider gives you a lease on your IP. It might be 3 hours, 2 hours, 24 hours, 3 days, but what happens is it takes that IP and then gives you a new one. Only exception is if you buy a dedicated line, like a T line, or the ever so tasty OC line.

Without a router, you'll connect directly to the internet with this IP.

With a router there's a little twist. See what happens is you have your line in from the internet, and then the line to your computer. Your router says OK, i have X amount of computers. I'm going to take your external IP (the one your ISP gave you) and I'm going to break it up for the X amount of computers so they all can connect. I'm going to NAT (network address translation) some IPs for you. Most of your routers are going to be a 192.168 - that's the standard class C NAT addressing. So internally you'll have 192.168.1.xxx for your computers, xxx being from 2 to 254 (1 is reserved for the router, 255 is reserved for subnetting)

Back to your router, your "always on" means just that. Disable means you can turn it off, and shut off during inactivity means if no packets are being transferred, it goes into a sleep mode.

and lanman = local area network man :) i live and breathe networking, hardware and software daily for my work.

fucking nerd lol .

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Guest DC Power Kyle

From a programmers prospective:

Invision Power Board (The board software steve uses) may store your session (that you are logged in) by either the browser you are using, your ip address and so on. So when you move to a friends house with your laptop, you have to log in again cause its not the same address. So if IPB requires your session to match the browser and ip address to keep your session working and not log you out, then thats what is required. IPB may have an option to allow the ip address checking to stay off, but its a good security feature for everyone to let it stay on.

Another option you have is use a proxy with a dedicated IP so you dont have to keep logging in. Or using a ssh tunnel on a linux/mac os x box. EX:

ssh -D 8080 -f -C -q -N <user>@<domain.com>

So there are ways to stay logged in, just will require a little research first and sometimes, money :)

Edited by DC Power Kyle

From a programmers prospective:

Invision Power Board (The board software steve uses) may store your session (that you are logged in) by either the browser you are using, your ip address and so on. So when you move to a friends house with your laptop, you have to log in again cause its not the same address. So if IPB requires your session to match the browser and ip address to keep your session working and not log you out, then thats what is required. IPB may have an option to allow the ip address checking to stay off, but its a good security feature for everyone to let it stay on.

Another option you have is use a proxy with a dedicated IP so you dont have to keep logging in. Or using a ssh tunnel on a linux/mac os x box. EX:

ssh -D 8080 -f -C -q -N <user>@<domain.com>

So there are ways to stay logged in, just will require a little research first and sometimes, money :)

DING DING DING winner winner chicken Dinner!

its a security feature of IPB that is enabled

If you want a static ip. You will have to call Bellsouth and they will walk you through the steps. If they ask you for a reason say you have to be able to remote desktop to your computer from work and it needs a static ip.

Subs are like titties, They need to come in pairs because ones and threes are just wrong, and larger amounts will always draw a crowd, we all have our favorite sizes, but the bigger ones are more fun to watch move. :D

Words to live by.