Maxim Posted September 3, 2009 Report Posted September 3, 2009 So I've tried designing a few boxes, some for other people, a couple for myself just to experiment with shapes and designs. I've come to a couple standstills though trying to figure out some issues I've had. Issue 1: When calculating the tuning frequency for a box, do you subtract the sub displacement before you calculate? Or do you calculate using the gross volume of the box? I'm pretty sure you subtract the displacement, but I was just wondering. Issue 2: If I'm trying to calculate the port length for a box, do I have to subtract the volume taken up by the port from the volume of the box? Example: If I have a box that's 2 cubes after displacement, and the port is 2x10 and 5 inches long, do I subtract the port volume of ≈.7 cubes from the box size? If so, do I then have to re-calculate the tuning frequency? I'm assuming software like Bass Box Pro could do all these calculations for you, but unless I go drop $130 for BBP, I'm stuck using the free options of SketchUp and the12volt.com. I know it can be done using just these two (and a little mental work on my part) but I want to be sure I'm doing it right. I know there's some expert box builders on here, so if you guys could help me out, that would be so greatly appreciated. wtf is lolcats? I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers. I was hoping for 150 . I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt
LordArcane Posted September 3, 2009 Report Posted September 3, 2009 really good question i use sketchup and 12volt for all my boxes too. but for your first question i think you do count in sub dis. 2nd question tho i'm not to sure on but reguardless i'm sure i'll learn something new by watching this thread
andym85 Posted September 3, 2009 Report Posted September 3, 2009 yes to both tuning is figured after sub and port displacement it kind of becomes a circular equation because of that...if u are any good with excel, then u can figure out a way to account for it...like i did i likes me some audio stuff...
Maxim Posted September 3, 2009 Author Report Posted September 3, 2009 Haha. Glad to see I'm not the only one using the freebies found on the internet. I know a few people have written their own programs or made excel sheets, but the12volt is fine enough for me. I'd love to have the money to spend on BBP and all the other stuff I wanna buy, but college is like a $50,000 a year money pit... And I'm glad I could get a response on this one. Thanks so much man! I'd love to go into Excel and try to work out a few formulas, but I need to figure out what the hell I'm doing before I go making spreadsheets. Oh, and this one just hit me. For subtracting the port displacement, do you subtract the displacement of just the wood or the displacement of the wood and the airspace inside the port? wtf is lolcats? I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers. I was hoping for 150 . I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt
Kvo_8 Posted September 3, 2009 Report Posted September 3, 2009 i asked this question in one of my threads and never got an answer...thanks for asking again lol Alpine 9886 Polk Audio 6.5 Component db series Elemental Designs nine.4 JL Audio 1000/1 DC Lvl 4 15" - 3.95 cu ft/tuned to 32 hz Clarion EQS746 Stinger Voltage Meter Optima Yellow Top (Front) XS Power 1200 (Rear) All KnuKonceptz Wiring
Maxim Posted September 3, 2009 Author Report Posted September 3, 2009 i asked this question in one of my threads and never got an answer...thanks for asking again lolNo problems I've been pondering both of these for a while but didn't want to ask and make a fool of myself, but then I realized I didn't care and it's worth making a fool of myself to know the answer. However, the people on here are so damn helpful! Now I don't feel like such a noob. wtf is lolcats? I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers. I was hoping for 150 . I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt
LordArcane Posted September 3, 2009 Report Posted September 3, 2009 alot on here are more then willing to help you do it right then to see you do it wrong, and like they say only dumb question is the one not asked but ya this question i think will help alot of people out, there was another box question asked few weeks ago that was another great one. if it helps people learn even if its just one person i myself think its a good question! then again lol i feel same as you some times i get question is my head and want to ask but don't want to feel like i know nothing at all, so i try to find out the answer on my own and end up back here asking and get a few that are just so willing to point me in the right place! this is one of the best forums i know of i point all my friends here asking bout systems and stuff
Sanitarium Posted September 3, 2009 Report Posted September 3, 2009 Haha. Glad to see I'm not the only one using the freebies found on the internet. I know a few people have written their own programs or made excel sheets, but the12volt is fine enough for me. I'd love to have the money to spend on BBP and all the other stuff I wanna buy, but college is like a $50,000 a year money pit... And I'm glad I could get a response on this one. Thanks so much man! I'd love to go into Excel and try to work out a few formulas, but I need to figure out what the hell I'm doing before I go making spreadsheets. Oh, and this one just hit me. For subtracting the port displacement, do you subtract the displacement of just the wood or the displacement of the wood and the airspace inside the port? yes you consider the airspace inside the port AND the wood as one big displacement. If you make the port out of say 3/4" mdf and use one common wall of the box you would only add 3/4" 3 times to the dimensions. Example, you do a 12" by 4" port, one wall is common with the box the other 3 have airspace outside of them (the chamber of the box). you would do 13.5x4.75x(length - what is part of the faceplate/ sticks past the faceplate)
Kasey Posted September 3, 2009 Report Posted September 3, 2009 I have been wanting to ask this question for a long time but kept forgetting to. "Audio is not a hobby it's a lifestyle" _____________________________Refs_1_Refs_2_____________________________
Maxim Posted September 3, 2009 Author Report Posted September 3, 2009 Well, then I'm glad I asked it. This clears up soooo many problems I was encountering in my box designs. I'm also glad I'm helping to answer questions for other people wtf is lolcats? I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers. I was hoping for 150 . I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.