Ground question

i'm going to be starting the wiring up here shortly for my new setup, and was wondering about this ground question: I have 2 rear batt grounds from my 2 rear batts, but should both ground to the frame at 1 spot, or should they both be grounds at their own spot?

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

I would connect them both to the same location, but it shouldn't matter. I may be wrong though. Just ground them to the same location just in case.

My comp setup (Not bad for what it is):

HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with:

15.4" widescreen

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor

2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz)

Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD

128MB shared video memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours)

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

On a USB 2.0 Wireless card

i'm going to be starting the wiring up here shortly for my new setup, and was wondering about this ground question: I have 2 rear batt grounds from my 2 rear batts, but should both ground to the frame at 1 spot, or should they both be grounds at their own spot?

It depends where the batts are in relation to each other. Grounds should be kept as short as possible. You can ground them together or separately, what you need to consider is A) wire length, B) clean ground connections, C) ground potential.

The wire length is pretty self explanatory. When you do connect the ground to metal, make sure it is bare metal and use some sort of protection over the connection to prevent rust/corrosion. As for ground potential just make sure you are using a piece of sheet metal or frame that is of low resistance; I.E. not a body panel that is welded to the unibody like fender wells. If you have a DMM, hook a lead to the negative terminal of the main battery and use the other to check where you want to ground. Just look for the lowest resistance and try to have the same ground potential for both batteries.

If the batts are close, ground them together, just use appropriate gauge wire.

rockfordfosgate4.jpgmecp.jpg

CAUTION!

POOR INSTALLATION MAY SHORT BOTH YOUR SYSTEM AND WALLET

I have both my amps grounded to the same location. No problems.... had my capacitor and amp grounded to same location before....no problems. First setup was 1k watts 2nd is 500 or so. Not quite sure about batteries, I don't see why it wouldn't work though.

Edited by VistaV6

SUCCESS is a decision, NOT a dream. You have to name the price you are willing to pay to get it.

"You didn't have an ice pick on you? Amateur. " -- Wax from Fchat.

It depends where the batts are in relation to each other. Grounds should be kept as short as possible. You can ground them together or separately, what you need to consider is A) wire length, B) clean ground connections, C) ground potential.

The wire length is pretty self explanatory. When you do connect the ground to metal, make sure it is bare metal and use some sort of protection over the connection to prevent rust/corrosion. As for ground potential just make sure you are using a piece of sheet metal or frame that is of low resistance; I.E. not a body panel that is welded to the unibody like fender wells. If you have a DMM, hook a lead to the negative terminal of the main battery and use the other to check where you want to ground. Just look for the lowest resistance and try to have the same ground potential for both batteries.

Dude, I appreciate the time you took to write that out, but Im not an idiot, I understand all that bro........ Just looking to see if both grounds should be together, or separate.....

I guess what I was trying to say there is that it doesn't really matter as long as the ground potential isn't radically different. I wasn't trying to say that you are an idiot, I didn't know your battery placement and tried to provide as much information as possible so you could apply it to your install. Every install is different. If you can put the batteries right near each other, by all means ground to the same point. If they are on opposite sides of the vehicle find a good ground near the batt. Whatever works for your particular situation.

rockfordfosgate4.jpgmecp.jpg

CAUTION!

POOR INSTALLATION MAY SHORT BOTH YOUR SYSTEM AND WALLET

I guess what I was trying to say there is that it doesn't really matter as long as the ground potential isn't radically different. I wasn't trying to say that you are an idiot, I didn't know your battery placement and tried to provide as much information as possible so you could apply it to your install. Every install is different. If you can put the batteries right near each other, by all means ground to the same point. If they are on opposite sides of the vehicle find a good ground near the batt. Whatever works for your particular situation.

Thank you ;)

With different ground locations, especially ones that vary in resistance, it brings in the possibility for a ground loop. Common ground points are better than grounds all over god's creation.

Edited by lanman31337

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti Scion 600.4

4 - Lanzar Optidrive 1232D's

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6C midbass

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

I believe that would be "white Lithinium." to protect connection from rust/corrosion.