Second Skin Audio

EXPLAIN THE PHYSICS OF RUNNING ONE WOOFER VS TWO

Can someone explain to me the physics behind one monster 12 in a SPL ported enclosure easily outdoing 2 10's? I recently got a good deal on a RF 12 inch T2 RMS 1000 watts. So I had a custom enclosure built for it which is a little over 2 cubic feet tuned to 40 hz. This s**t is banging really really hard. I also have 2 10 inch RF T1s (600 watts RMS each) in a enclosure built to specs. It bangs really really hard but not like the 1 T2. The T2 I would say is about 30% louder and harder where bass is concerned. How can 1 monster 12 outdo 2 excellent 10's?

The tuning frequency has a lot to do with how it sounds.

My comp setup (Not bad for what it is):

HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with:

15.4" widescreen

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor

2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz)

Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD

128MB shared video memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours)

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

On a USB 2.0 Wireless card

it also depends on what power your throwing at them, you could be giving 1000 rms to the 12 and 500 to each 10.. so your giving full rms on 1 and not full on the others... and yes, your tuning on the boxes has alot to do with it

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

...surface area of the cone....more surface aera to push ait..generelly more pressure level.

2010 IDBL Rookie 1 North American Champion

2009 IDBL Rookie 1 Fl State Champion

2009 EBB Fly Weight 3rd Place Fl State Finals

2006 Silver Grand Prix GXP :Diablo Audio Hellfire 1000.1, JL Audio 300/4, One 13W7, ZR650, VR690, JL Cleansweep setup.

Team Pure Pressure

dat12.jpgkonfused22copyn.gif

logottu.jpgproductimage.jpgpoweringlogosm.jpg

db is a pressure reading. subs make pressure by moving air back and forth.

generally two subs have more cone area and can move more air per cycle than a single sub.

now when u have a massive spl sub like u said most likely it will have a longer throw than the other subs which will make up for the less cone area. so it can move more air because the sub itself moves more.

as for the power, more power moves the cone farther, meaning it moves more air. therefore more power=more pressure.

the box is a whole other beast thats more complicated

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

db is a pressure reading. subs make pressure by moving air back and forth.

generally two subs have more cone area and can move more air per cycle than a single sub.

now when u have a massive spl sub like u said most likely it will have a longer throw than the other subs which will make up for the less cone area. so it can move more air because the sub itself moves more.

as for the power, more power moves the cone farther, meaning it moves more air. therefore more power=more pressure.

the box is a whole other beast thats more complicated

Good answer.

Also, with two subs, you have two separate voice coils to dissipate heat and two separate motors to create kinetic energy. Sometimes, two smaller motors can be more efficient than one monster slug because of thermal management and mechanical factors (i.e. a huge, stiff suspension to damp 1000s of watts).

To make things simple, you should look at your vehicle to determine what would be best for IT. That one monster will definitely outperform two lesser subs if you don't have the space for them, for example.

Good answer.

Also, with two subs, you have two separate voice coils to dissipate heat and two separate motors to create kinetic energy. Sometimes, two smaller motors can be more efficient than one monster slug because of thermal management and mechanical factors (i.e. a huge, stiff suspension to damp 1000s of watts).

To make things simple, you should look at your vehicle to determine what would be best for IT. That one monster will definitely outperform two lesser subs if you don't have the space for them, for example.

After hearing my 1 12 RF T2 I will never again doubt the power of one high quality subwoofer. My bass is super clear and sounds like King Kong is in the trunk. Literally now if I turn the volume knob up to about 8, it can be too much :rolleyes: I will probably never run 2 subs ever again after hearing my T2. The gain knob on my RF T1500-1Bd is a little under 3. The box is exactly at 2.25 cubic feet tuned to 42hz. It's smaller than the box for my 2 RF T1 10's.