Second Skin Audio

overbuilding enclosures?

it seems to me that a lot of people overbuild enclosures. i dont understand when people put tons of fiberglas on the edges of the box and put 50 screws through a double baffle. i used to think you needed a ton of screws to hold a box together untill i tried to take a box apart. it took some really hard wacks from a hammer to break the joints. the wood broke apart before the glue gave out.

now of corse i still use screws but i use MUCH less than i used to. the only screws through my second baffle are the ones holding the subs in place. we add double baffles and lots of bracing to stop flexing. so with all the bracing, and the glue holding stronger than the wood, the box would have to flex so much that the wood, across the entire baffle, breaks/splits.

im not trying to bash anyone thats done these things. its always better to overbuild than underbuild, but my question is: has anyone ever had a box fail because they didnt put more screws in, or fiberglass every edge?

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

I've never had one fail, but the reason people feel tempted to do that IMO is to stop each panel from individually, more efficiency = moar DeeBeez

i dont see how more screws can do that. bracing, yes, screws... i dont think so.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

ive never had a box blowout except 1 prefab and i was running 2 or 3k through it. i always think that i under build them compared to everyone else on here, but everyone of my friends think that they are stupidly over built untill i show them boxes on here. i just use the old glue and a couple screws(like 4 down each seam) no glassing yet and for my only box with a double baffle put the first baffle on the box then i just used like a whole tube of liquid nails and just stood on it for a few mintue till it tacked up then just let dry the rest of the way, it work just as good as all these super boxes though i think, you could set something on all the panels and you could tap the box on all sides and it wouldnt bounce. i think all the internal bracing messes up the air flow in the box i would rather just use double or triple thick walls imho

justin smith

1996 mercury grand marquis

20'' bentchi b7 lexani n3000 245/35/20

cactus 5kw at 1ohm dcr(beast)

2 18'' btl's in a 14.15^ft wall tuned to 35hz with 210'' of port

kicker zx650.4

componets in still the works

200amp motorcraft alt

xs power d3100 (beast)

kenwood ddx512 h.u.

you mean my EX? the one I dumped? just remember every time you kiss her that i used to cum in her mouth

and BTW your girl just called me....

pure pwnage

I use to be one of those people who would use tons of screws, I stopped doing that after my 2nd box....I use a brad nailer and basically use the brad nails to pull the wood tight for strong glue joints.....

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

i think noob meant w/o fiberglass the box could leak air and there goes some db's

Refs-(b.f.) 99vic, WCA Rusty(x3) Nathan@XSPOWER, Ampjunkielikeme, Bread0710, AmiCreations (s.t.) REsLaPz, PandaGT(x2), Keiferacing, Juicemane (t.w.) Powski, Big gil[/center]

Build Log

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/77726-sss-celica-dc-buildupdate-611-finished/

2005 subi STi 380whp 355whp

17" gold bbs

5% tint all around w/sunglare strip

JVC dvd double din

Knuconceptz 4ga wiring

XS Power!

Big 3

8" SAv2 d2

1800 audiopipe

I meant, glass and bracing are overdone to prevent the open panels from converting the acoustic energy out of the box instead of out the port. To many screws are just silly.

the joints arnt going to seperate. just make sure you have a good bead of glue on and you should be good. the only "overbuilding" i do is adding caulking to the edges after i get the box together.

a box is strongest in the edges because it has support from a bend. the only way i see glass helping is by putting it in the middle of the board, or across the entire thing of corse. thats where it will actualy flex.

i just think people are waisting time and money with some of these extras.

the joints arnt going to seperate. just make sure you have a good bead of glue on and you should be good. the only "overbuilding" i do is adding caulking to the edges after i get the box together.

a box is strongest in the edges because it has support from a bend. the only way i see glass helping is by putting it in the middle of the board, or across the entire thing of corse. thats where it will actualy flex.

i just think people are waisting time and money with some of these extras.

from and engineering stand point a 90 degree angle is not super strong. in a box where it is all in a cube it is strong though. and addin a flat piece on a flat piece just makes a little bit stiffer flat pic. cross bracing is alot stronger. i havent even used a double baffle yet because i feel the bracind i have is adequeate(sp). here is how i braced my last few boxes. engineering classes lead me too it. kinda a take off how I beams and T beams work

P9050233.jpg

and for fiberglassin. it just a better seal. wood glue and caulk do hold up good, but fiberglass will hold up and last longer. I throw a layer of 2 ounce glass on kerfs when i make them.