Second Skin Audio

overbuilding enclosures?

the glass in the corners is to make the air flow more efficient. eliminates standing angles. the screws are used to pull the multiple layers together tighter. I get a little paranoid with it when i build. of course i try to not use so many screws because then i gotta fill them but i do find smething nice and heavy to set on top of the baffles while the glue dries .

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

from and engineering stand point a 90 degree angle is not super strong. in a box where it is all in a cube it is strong though. and addin a flat piece on a flat piece just makes a little bit stiffer flat pic. cross bracing is alot stronger. i havent even used a double baffle yet because i feel the bracind i have is adequeate(sp). here is how i braced my last few boxes. engineering classes lead me too it. kinda a take off how I beams and T beams work

(pic removed to save space)

and for fiberglassin. it just a better seal. wood glue and caulk do hold up good, but fiberglass will hold up and last longer. I throw a layer of 2 ounce glass on kerfs when i make them.

Dude, that is a nice loookin box. Very well executed. I like the bracing, howd it work out for ya?

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

A subwoofer is like a really big hammer beating on your box at up to 65 times a second. different than one hit with your arm. Hammer is also isolated to one small spot on the wood. Woofer pressure is spread across every square inch of the box.

Screws are like temporary clamps for the glue joint until it cures. After that, you can probably take the screws out and may or may not have a problem.

Im definitely with ya on 12 layer MDF boxes. I dont see the sense in it. There are many other ways to make a box strong than having wood on top of wood on top of wood.

Look at the plastic ramps you put your car on top of. They are 1/4" thick and only have ribs on them and they can hold over 1000 lbs easy.

Just my .02

Dude, that is a nice loookin box. Very well executed. I like the bracing, howd it work out for ya?

i have no problems so far, there are also 2 dowel rods behind where each woofer is. its only 1500 on 2 12s now though, soon to be 3000, then ill have to meter it.

A subwoofer is like a really big hammer beating on your box at up to 65 times a second. different than one hit with your arm. Hammer is also isolated to one small spot on the wood. Woofer pressure is spread across every square inch of the box.

in that sense a hammer in your are should do more damage. all that force localized on one point vs the entire pressure of a woofer spread through the entire area of a box. as far as breakin the box apart...

i dont use screws at all when building an enclsoure.... just titebond II, some big clamps, and a brad nailer... and once its together i resin the port to make it smooth... and then i resin all the joints to seal it up

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

My box was the same way, i had a screw every 2-3"....Now its titebond II, brad nails, and silicone. Ill be trying some resin on the next box.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.