To work at bestbuy or not?

I wouldn't. I've worked at Best Buy. It sucks, you'll probably hate it. Just imagine putting up with all the newbs that you meet on the net on a daily basis and sitting around answering their retarded questions all day long. It's not fun. Not to mention that you get no respect what so ever from other installers that are local because you work at Best Buy and is usually the place where their installers that couldn't hack it go to.

The decision is up to you, but I tried it for a minute and as soon as another shop called they got a 2 week notice and I never looked back. Their corporate atmosphere is fucking ghey right along with their painful morning meetings where you play stupid fucking games that you wouldn't have wanted to play when you were in kindergarden. Don't sell out cause that's what happens when you work at Best Buy. Take it from someone that worked there, it's pretty lame.

One last thing I forgot. The pay is bullshit!!! $11 an hour is whack as hell for install work even for Best Buy. Not to mention that they will get rid of you right before your about to get a raise for just about any reason they can find. I saw it happen to 2 different guys that I worked with. I didn't work there long enough for it to happen to me but I'm sure that it would have if I had stayed longer. I left Best Buy making $12.27 an hour to go to a custom shop with only a year and a half of experience under my belt to make $18.50 an hour. Now what's wrong with that picture. Corperate bullshit is what's wrong.

You're completely right, who wants to a steady job with guaranteed hours and pay from a multi-billion dollar corporation who offers huge employee discounts, bonuses, stock options, sick/vacation time and 401k matching? http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/01nocomment8so.gif

There is nothing wrong with working at Best Buy. I've worked there for a year and a half, and while I do agree about morning meetings sucking, there is always shit you're not going to like about a job, but that's life. Honestly dealing with the "newbs" you're speaking of isnt too bad, because usually I end up teaching them things, that makes me feel better about myself for helping other people. You're probably one of the assholes who's all high and mighty because you know more than they do...in that case Im glad you're not working with my company. With the attitude you're portraying you wouldnt have lasted long in that job anyways...sure I bet you have the skills (how hard its it to do a deck and 4, 8 hours a day) but you dont have the people skills at all.

To the OP, Best Buy is currently growing while most retailers are closing down stores. I think it would be wise to get on with Best Buy, if nothing else you can move up in the company to a management position how does a salary of 70k/yr plus bonuses sound? That is what the lowest level manager at my store makes. Oh and with out discounts most stuff we buy is SUBSTANTIALLY lower than you can find it on ebay or hell even craigslist.

My System:

Pioneer AVH-P3200BT

4-Dayton 7 inch reference series (front doors)

8-Onkyo 3/4 inch tweeters (dash)

1-Sundown Audio 100.4D (mids/highs)

2-18" BTL's (for now)

Crescendo 3kwp (for sale)

Complete rebuild coming soon...

Like I said I hated Best Buy. When I left we made fun of the bullshit installs that Best Buy did that we got to fix. We were busier than the Best Buy in the city where I worked because they lacked quality installers. Not to mention that my boss had contracts with all the car lots in town and we did ALL of their intalls.

Dude already has a job that he seems to like. He won't make that much more money a week after taxes. Then also what happens after the Christmas season and hours are cut like hell at BB? Trust me it will happen cause I worked there. You'll be all cool I get to work 40 hours a week with no overtime EVER, and then after Christmas your lucky to get 30 hours a week. It may be something but I say if you have a steady 40 a week now don't go somewhere where your going to be the low man on the line and get shit on before anyone else.

Also to those of you that say it's the hobby it will be fun to work with it obviously you've not installed much because the majority of your work is decks and remote starts. To me that shit is not fun to sit and wire decks and fucking remote starts all god damn day. Then in remote start season be up to your ears in starts. It wasn't like that as much when I was at BB, but when I went to the custom shop I worked at I was expected to do 5-6 starts a day before I could go home. This was on top of whatever audio bullshit came into the shop too.

It's not all fun and doing custom work to your car. Most of it sucks cause people are cheap and you get sick of installing their crap audio into their crap dirty cars. That's one of the worst things in the industry, installing in someone's nasty dirty as car.

Like I said it's up to you, but I'm just telling you the cons of working in the industry and especially BB.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

You're completely right, who wants to a steady job with guaranteed hours and pay from a multi-billion dollar corporation who offers huge employee discounts, bonuses, stock options, sick/vacation time and 401k matching? http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/01nocomment8so.gif

There is nothing wrong with working at Best Buy. I've worked there for a year and a half, and while I do agree about morning meetings sucking, there is always shit you're not going to like about a job, but that's life. Honestly dealing with the "newbs" you're speaking of isnt too bad, because usually I end up teaching them things, that makes me feel better about myself for helping other people. You're probably one of the assholes who's all high and mighty because you know more than they do...in that case Im glad you're not working with my company. With the attitude you're portraying you wouldnt have lasted long in that job anyways...sure I bet you have the skills (how hard its it to do a deck and 4, 8 hours a day) but you dont have the people skills at all.

To the OP, Best Buy is currently growing while most retailers are closing down stores. I think it would be wise to get on with Best Buy, if nothing else you can move up in the company to a management position how does a salary of 70k/yr plus bonuses sound? That is what the lowest level manager at my store makes. Oh and with out discounts most stuff we buy is SUBSTANTIALLY lower than you can find it on ebay or hell even craigslist.

Says the homo that works for Best Buy. :o Don't talk shit about someone you have no idea about. I put up with a lot of crap there and left under good terms. I couldn't take the horse shit wanna be attitude that most BB employees like yourself have. Good luck ever making over $15 an hour there.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

it cant hurt

one of our installers worked there before, was like shop manager and such. from what he said the discounts were nuts, the work was easy (the only book like 3 cars a day per installer....my guys do that before their morning shits) and he was mostly in it for the health insurance and stocks and security of it.

its a good job, even if you just use it as a stepping stone (or if you want to work your way up, i know managers get like 40$+an hour, 80k a year and full benefits and a retirement package aint something to scoff at honestly

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

What is experience level???????If you dont have a lot of expereience it is a great place to learn........I worked there for over 4 years........and who ever told you that you will never make over 15......guess again......although it depends on your demographic I was making over 21 plus bonus......that and I was paying my full timers over 19.....now that is in the Chicago demographic though........and who ever said that you wont be able to do any custom work also lied.....although you wont get a ton and based off of your experience level you will get some depending on your customer base........basically if you do good work regardless of where you work people are going to recognize it and tell others.........just like a carpenter or any other trade.....good luck man

Rockford Fosgate

Sundown Audio

DC Power Inc

XS

Autometer

Pioneer

i start work at my local best buy in the install bay making just above 12 an hour.. i just have to wait for it to open..(2 more weeks)

seems like a really cool place to work.

Tim-Sig.png

62491252.png

The set up your talking about would sound great in my Tahoe. Trade you my dog for it. He has one eye but that only makes for bad depth perception so hey so what if he is running into shit, look at it this way he is easy to sneak up ninja style on. (right side only)
</div>

everyone ive ever know that worked at Best Buy enjoyed their time there.

plus im sure you could pull some mad pussy there too. from fellow employees and customers :D

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

Archived