Sonic Electronix

2 Alpine 12's in a sealed box, Hifonics amp = Sounds like ass

Guys, I get that it should be ported. I am building a box this weekend, I just never realised that the position of the speakers in the car actually mattered that much.

And I assumed that Type R's were DVC 4 ohm. If I knew they all were I wouldnt have asked.

- John

My Impreza Wagon:

1x Fi BTL 18"

1x Hifonics Brutus BXi 2010D

1x Alpine MDA-W933J Double-Din JDM Unit

1x Kinetik HC1800 Battery

Audiopipe 1/0 Gauge Wire

Hushmat + Beast alpine deck coming soon...

Hmm sounds like Installer/builder error IMO.

A box in placed in your back seat (ported or sealed) will never really sound right, or as loud as it should unless the box was built for that application. Otherwise your going to mess up sound waves and not give the sub(s) anything proper to load off of.

(as the trunk is full of a LOT of BTL box and I cant really remove that by myself)

Well if its a box in a trunk, It cant be too big. You must be smaller then a ant if you cant move it by yourself. :friends:

Im not no tough guy either, but I can move a 150+ pound box made from Three 3/4inch thick 4' by 8' sheets of mdf for my Two 18s by myself. :search:

Hmm sounds like Installer/builder error IMO.

A box in placed in your back seat (ported or sealed) will never really sound right, or as loud as it should unless the box was built for that application. Otherwise your going to mess up sound waves and not give the sub(s) anything proper to load off of.

Well if its a box in a trunk, It cant be too big. You must be smaller then a ant if you cant move it by yourself. :friends:

Im not no tough guy either, but I can move a 150+ pound box made from Three 3/4inch thick 4' by 8' sheets of mdf for my Two 18s by myself. :search:

Thanks, that makes sense. All I was asking was why I got the results I did from a stupid test.

While I can move it in and out of the car by myself, Its not exactly fun to do, and it wouldnt be any kind of easy to get it in my basement apartment, so for a quick test I didnt bother taking it out.

My Impreza Wagon:

1x Fi BTL 18"

Audiopipe 1/0 Gauge Wire

My 200 dollar walmart set up was/is louder (or just about damn equal) than my 1300 dollar jl audio/alpine set up...

2 10's PORTED boxes tuned at 57 hertz on 500 class Z watts

vs

2 12's W3s in SEALED box on 1k MRPM1000 class D watts.

how does this have ANYTHING to do with his question???

op, did you check the ohm load?

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Just for the sake of argument, I had 2 type r 12s w/2ohm voice coils in a sealed box at only .9 cubes each running off a kicker zx1000 at 2 ohms. This was my old setup in a 2000 mustang. Let me tell you, the f@*king car would flex, especially the roof and windshield. And any females in the passenger seat when I hit a 36-40hz test tone were very pleased :spiteful:

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Well thanks for the advice guys, I mainly just wanted to know if the speaker placement would cause that. I know that Type R's sound good ported, Ive heard some good setups with them before. I am building a box tomorrow for them and pulling the BTL to run the Type R's for a few days to get a feel for them.

When I tested the speakers the other night it was mainly just to see if the speakers were in working order. It was 3AM and I just wanted to ask if its not unreasonable for them to sound like that. That's all.

Anyhow, I'll let you guys know how it sounds ported. I guess I really have no idea what ohm these coils are until I get my multi meter on them, I thought that they were DVC 4 ohm since I saw that some are. I didn't realize that this much of a 'production' common speaker would have options like that, though its good that it does. Anyhow, my noob moment is over now.

- John

My Impreza Wagon:

1x Fi BTL 18"

Audiopipe 1/0 Gauge Wire