My 'Prix has this issue where she randomly decides not to start. She gets plenty of juice, jumping her doesn't help, volts are sitting right. Starter just doesn't kick. Then it will randomly start. I have taken to the habit of wailing on the starter solenoid with my adjustable wrench when this happens, IDK if it helps start it or not but it eventually starts then. Any idea what it oculd be? My friend said it could be a grounding issue or a starter solenoid. I was thinking it might be grounding because my amps are all of a sudden getting super clipped even though I had the gains set semi-properly (i.e. you couldn't hear them clip and now you can) so IDK. any ideas?

Too many projects, too little time...

My 'Prix has this issue where she randomly decides not to start. She gets plenty of juice, jumping her doesn't help, volts are sitting right. Starter just doesn't kick. Then it will randomly start. I have taken to the habit of wailing on the starter solenoid with my adjustable wrench when this happens, IDK if it helps start it or not but it eventually starts then. Any idea what it oculd be? My friend said it could be a grounding issue or a starter solenoid. I was thinking it might be grounding because my amps are all of a sudden getting super clipped even though I had the gains set semi-properly (i.e. you couldn't hear them clip and now you can) so IDK. any ideas?

i dont think its the ground at all. ive ran into this problem twice n both my older car. 93 civic and 94 toyoa. its the 2 copper contact point inside of your starter. as years go by and many start/spark in you starter it wears out. thats why itwhen you budge it or so it magically starts again. alot of people or 98% of the people will just go out and buy a new one. dont, when you take it out theres 2 -3 screws on one end, it comes of easy in just a couple piece. youll see the copper concacts. a "L" shape. just go to any auto electronic store. its like .50 ( 50 cents) each. napa doesnt carry it so go elswhere.. replaces both of them and put it back in. its a dollar fix. its bsically rebuilding your starter. good luck. it took me 40 minutes to take out the starter in my toyota and 2 minutes to fix it.

Fresno, Cali 559

Do you mean in the starter or the solenoid? Because my dad said what I was smacking was the solenoid.

the starter itself. as you keep crankin it it'll eventually start most of the time. tht click click noise you hear is the starter itself clicking. also some propblem accures to the key ignition too where it is too weak to give thestart to the starter. just tap the starter a few times and try it out. if not then itll work when its warmer. i would highly recommend you take out the starter and preplace the contact points. save yourself 100 bucks. my truck gave me that problem for about 5 months, although i know it will start eventually. i just squeeze it the time to take it apart. after that i it starts up like a champ. been 5 months already and i had it parked for a month til the other day and i started it with a battery just to cycle the engine. it starts right up.

Fresno, Cali 559

My starter doesn't even make the click noise, which is why my friend thinks it's the solenoid/switch. Like when you turn the key you hear silence.

Idk if it makes a difference or not but from what I can recall the two times I can remember it happening (its happened more than that though) it was wet out.

Too many projects, too little time...

the neutral start switch on top of the trany. its right where the shift cable hooks on it has a buch of wires going to it. i has a GP with the same problem. its annoying as hell. if this happens again hold the key to the start position keep the brake pedel pushed in and shift from park to reverse very slowly if it kicks the starter then that is your problem...just be sure to pop it back to park the moment it starts. or you going to go for a ride... this is a very common problem on these cars...

My starter doesn't even make the click noise, which is why my friend thinks it's the solenoid/switch. Like when you turn the key you hear silence.

Idk if it makes a difference or not but from what I can recall the two times I can remember it happening (its happened more than that though) it was wet out.

funny you say that...mine just went out today (or so i think it is the starter...i'm having the exact same problems you are) and know what? it's raining out. has been all day, but decided to call it quits midway through it. i've done some research, but the clean contacts is something new i havent seen before. gonna try tapping it tomorrow and jumping it and see if it starts, so i cant say if mine will stay running yet or die like yours does. but...i have a feeling i'm gonna have to get a new one at a junk yard. so we'll see