Scheduling PC to wake up for maintenance tasks ???

I guess their must be a way to make my PC wake up for certain tasks {I currently have my PC setup for the screen saver to come on in 15 min, the screen to go off at 45 min, and the PC to go to sleep after 1 hour of inactivity}, such as a virus scan, defrag, hard drive back up to external HD, etc..... But I sure haven't figured out how.

So, I was thinking it might be easier just to schedule my PC to wake up from say 2am until 4am everday (not for any specific tasks, but just because I told it to) and simply schedule all my tasks during that time...... But I'm having freaking fits trying to figure out how to do that too !!!

I've surfed around a bit and found some little free programs that supposedly allow you to do this, but it seems to me that Vista (and hopefully, my soon to be, Win7) should allow a scheduled wake up, without any kind of downloads being needed..... and I hate to download a bunch of crap that I don't need.

Can anyone explain what I need to do here ?

Much thanks,

Fish

I want my PC to wake up at a preset time, determined by me, so that it can do the scheduled maintenance. Sounds so simple, doesn't it ?

Any suggestions ?

Fish

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/166809-t...p-computer.html

Hope that helps

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

if you have vista there is a tool on the side bar, its really good ill take a picture of it and add it, allows you to put on a wakeup timer, sleep timer, hibernation, all for a preset time

My F-150 Build

GET ON THE BANDWAGON

loganberry44.gif

DSC01482-1-1.jpg

what if they tried messing with the amps when the subs werent louder :ehh: hahah jk :pardon:

Dude ! You and SQMonte are the SHIZNIT ! :) I beat myself up for half of my day off yesterday, and never could figure this shit out !

And here's the real kicker..... Sure, I think I can figure out how to > get my sidebar back.... But my other buddy who helped me build this PC was like, "That side bar crap is stupid ! It's a resource hog ! It's useless ! You have a clock right here ! You don't want that do you ? .....and I was like, "Well I dunno'..... To which he said, you can get it back if you want it anyway > click... Gone. And I hadn't seen any of this stuff since the first day I turned on my PC !

Of course now I have to get ready for work...... and with my stinkin AADD, all day long I'm going to be thinking about getting this stuff straight ! But at least I have a direction to run with it :)

Thanks again man.... Your check is in the mail :)

Peace,

Fish

09-10-14230140.png

its on the top

Hey Logan, okay, so I got my sidebar back, and a couple gadgets that I wanted. But that scheduler thing you have is not in my list of gadgets ? I might be able to download it... but what exactly is that gadget called ???

Thanks,

Fish

PS, Not really a big deal, but I haven't been able to change the location for the weather gadget ? What's up with that ?

Dude ! You and SQMonte are the SHIZNIT ! :) I beat myself up for half of my day off yesterday, and never could figure this shit out !

And here's the real kicker..... Sure, I think I can figure out how to > get my sidebar back.... But my other buddy who helped me build this PC was like, "That side bar crap is stupid ! It's a resource hog ! It's useless ! You have a clock right here ! You don't want that do you ? .....and I was like, "Well I dunno'..... To which he said, you can get it back if you want it anyway > click... Gone. And I hadn't seen any of this stuff since the first day I turned on my PC !

Of course now I have to get ready for work...... and with my stinkin AADD, all day long I'm going to be thinking about getting this stuff straight ! But at least I have a direction to run with it :)

Thanks again man.... Your check is in the mail :)

Peace,

Fish

I believe you can click the + button at the top and a list of the gadgets available to you will come up. But I'm not sure, cause I got rid of mine when I installed Vista.

My comp setup (Not bad for what it is):

HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with:

15.4" widescreen

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor

2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz)

Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD

128MB shared video memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours)

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

On a USB 2.0 Wireless card