Give me 60 seconds to explain Bass Boosts/Clipping

decaf, set up your sound card so that stereomix is on, and you could record sound the sound through audacity while playing the music on wmp.

google it, you will understand.

24pm3xe.jpg

im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire.

Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block....

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt.

Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon.

MSG Me for a free enclosure design!!

Flared port kits coming soon!!

so when i set my gains using this "bass knob"where would you suggest i set the frequency. this could possibly be the reason that my subs smell a little after playin it loud. i used an oscope to set my gains. i set the HU to 0 bass boost, i turned the "bass knob" all the way up as well as the freq knob then i adjusted the amps while playing a 55Hz tone. maybe if i back the freq knob back down some and try again. what do u think.

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

thanks decaf for explaining that to everyone!

no problem... i will try to fine tune this

im gonna wait for a really sunny day and take a video again... should speed up frame rate

decaf, set up your sound card so that stereomix is on, and you could record sound the sound through audacity while playing the music on wmp.

google it, you will understand.

once i get to +12 and +18 i dont want to play that thru my speakers and i wouldnt want anyone else to, it sounds horrid

i googled it and i dont understand why i would want to stereo mix...?

so when i set my gains using this "bass knob"where would you suggest i set the frequency. this could possibly be the reason that my subs smell a little after playin it loud. i used an oscope to set my gains. i set the HU to 0 bass boost, i turned the "bass knob" all the way up as well as the freq knob then i adjusted the amps while playing a 55Hz tone. maybe if i back the freq knob back down some and try again. what do u think.

the freq knob should be at ~45hz... but this is the problem with bass boost knobs...

say u set the knob to +12db at 45hz... that means at 45hz u are boosting it 12db but at 33.5hz it will only boost it 6db same as 56.5hz

a remote gain knob would "boost" all frequencies played equally

if you were to turn the freq knob down you will actually end up turning the gain down as well, because you will be using a louder 55hz tone since it wasnt boosted originally since the freq knob was at 150hz...which will mean that you will need the knob boosted almost all the way to get as loud

in ur case i honestly would just ditch the knob because until you learn what distortion sounds like from ~30-65hz the knob will cause clipping which is what causes that smell, its the vc getting too warm

i never install those knobs, i just make sure whoevers amp im setting understands some songs are quiet and will remain that way and no knob can fix it... this is why i started screwing music... to get it as loud as i can before clipping it so i dont have to use a knob at all

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

makes sence thanks

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

I never thought about using scope on media player. I nor would just leave it on the default. Thanks for pointing that out!

Alpine CDA-9847 HU

F Highs 2x Infinity Kappa 60.9CS Powered by Eclipse EA4200 Glass door panels

R Highs Infinity Ref. 9622i powered by HU

3x RF Punch HX2 RFD2210 Powered by MTX Thunder 81000D

Box Vol. 3.259 before displacement, Tuned 36.6, Port area 54"

i replaced the video with one with better sound and faster frame rate so u can see the clips more and acutally hear the muddyness at +12 and +18

I nor would just leave it on the default... huh? whatchu talkin bout willis

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

• 1 month later...
This is not about remote gain knobs... which adjust the input sensitivity (which affects all frequencies played thru amp)

This is about bass boost knobs/or boosting on programs like audacity at a specified frequency

It is imperative in my opinion when you download/acquire new music to use an audio playback program that has an Osciloscope as a visualization option, like Windows Media Player

This is My version of Gorilla Zoe - Money Man... the same section of the song repeated each time

It will be played with no boost, then +3, then +6, then +12 and finally +18 at 32hz (i just picked a random number near the peak)

If you have a bass knob with an adjustable frequency option this is the same as turning the frequency to 30ish and slowly turning the knob up from zero to max (usually 0-12db or 0-18db)

The objective is to SEE the consequences of incorrectly setting gains with a bass knob, or playing music boosted by a dj (like on free mixtape websites)

I will go more into detail if need be, but I get ALOT of PMs asking whether a song is clipped or not and I want others to be able to pick it out visually for themselves, so that when they play it in their car knowing it is clipped, they then can associate the "look" with the "sound" of clipping... and hopefully eliminate the problems that arise from overdriving your amp(s) and sub(s) from clipping both by music choice and using a bass knob

Enjoy... if you want to view it on ur own computer screen, pm me for a link so u can also hear the distortion

(my camera takes 60 second vids, so the original song plays for ~5 seconds, then every ~15 seconds it fades out into the next step of boosting)

*New New Video w/better frame rate and w/sound*

th_DSCF0002-1.jpg

As you can see the first ~5 seconds is my version playing, unboosted

Next is +3... which is almost unnoticeable (this is where i draw the line in my songs when it comes to how visually clipped it is)

Next is +6... it begins to be obvious especially on the lower note that there are some flat spots, and audibly u can start to hear cracklin/muddyness

Next is +12. is obvious clipping, it sounds like crap... and this amount of clipping could kill an amp fast, a overdriven sub even faster

Last is +18.. I can't listen to this section more than 2% volume because it sounds so bad... this type of clipping will destroy anything in its path.... this amount is common with Gucci, Rick Ross, Waka Flocka, Lil Wayne.... alot of mainstream artists we all listen to... so be careful and be aware of what u are playing

Id be glad to answer any more questions... a while ago Bigpimpn91 went in-depth in THIS THREAD... I contributed some info as well

(LOL, BigPimpn91 exceeded bandwidth so only my pictures are still up... but its a good read nonetheless)

Is there any addons you have for windows meadia player to see it like that?

Jacob Sigmund

1 dc level 4 m1 18

1 audiopipe ap1500

2 runs of knu 1/0

jake1993sig.jpg

Alex Bennington" <[email protected] ^^^ want one one email this guy he will hook you up!

Very good write up sir.

Whenever I download anything- I use a program called MP3 Gain. You set the level of the song and it will also tell you if there is clipping. It has a setting where you can tell it to not allow clipping and it will lower the level until there is no clipping. That is the easy way I do stuff without checking every single song.

If it is something that I want to tweak or double check (make sure that the waves aren't boxed even if they aren't clipped for example...) I use trusty Audacity. That really is a great program. It makes it pretty easy to see if a track has problems too.

Thanks again for the write up and video! :clapping:

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Archived