KS 3.5 tweets up front

Kicker KS 6.5s by the back seat

KS 6x9s in the rear

Sealed Box

Hifonics Brutus 2600(for now)

Hifonics Zeus 740

Optima Red Top

2 Optima Yellow Tops

okay so just to get this straight... putting the bass boost on my bass knob (rockford amp) all the up to +18 wont clip if i set the gain with the knob not plugged in?? what about the frequency boost? do i leave that at zero? what do i set it too lol im scared of clipping

turn gain to 0, plug in bass knob... turn the knob up as high as you will ever turn it... then adjust gain either by ear or with a digital multimeter... when u do this u will never exceed the gains setting by turning the knob up

this is why i hate those damn knobs... because now the user is required to know the frequency of the notes in the song... then adjust that on the knob to be most accurate

this is why i will not use a bass knob unless i know it is adjust the input sensitivity of all frequencies goin to the amp (like high end hifonics, AQ, DD) they use a remote gain/level adjuster that affects all notes, most cheaply made knobs are centered at 45hz for the boost or make you choose, like on RF amps

is the remote knob for hifonics amps a gain remote or a bass boost remote??

depends on model, i would only use it if it has a clipping light/indicator

ive seen too many installs that the owner fried amps/subs from those damn knobs, just ditch them and get used to the fact that some songs are quieter and some louder, and u cant fix that with a boost knob without knowing when u introduce clipping into the signal from turning it up to much

Thanks for explaining

welcome

:good:

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

I know what you mean on the knobs decaf, and i think the same thing as you do, but sometimes, it´s more comfortable when you use it for daily driving, i like to be able to play my mids/highs LOUD and don´t have much subs, and if a kid "pounds" his system in front of me, i like to be able to pound that shit without touching any gains on the HU, just move my knob and that´s it hehe.

Besides, it´s cooler for the demos, they just can´t imagine what´s gonna happen to them :yahoo:

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

rf, hifonics, kicker.... they all use a bass boost centered at 45hz or u can pick, either way it is not ideal, and when ive installed any amps besides DD, AQ, and high end hifonics i do not install the knob, u cannot compensate for a quiet song by turnin up a magic knob

Gonna conflict with ya here a bit, Mr. Coffe.

You can compensate for a quite song with a knob.

Before I broke my knob, I had the amp set to a hairbit clip to use with songs that are unneccessarily quiet that I didn't fix.

But, AudioPipe's knob wasn't bass bosst, it was a remote gain.

Also, AudioPipe's Bass Boost is adjustable which is rather nice.

Set it to 80hz and add about 1-2db boost to make up for the lack of midbass. :rofl:

Gonna conflict with ya here a bit, Mr. Coffe.

You can compensate for a quite song with a knob.

Before I broke my knob, I had the amp set to a hairbit clip to use with songs that are unneccessarily quiet that I didn't fix.

But, AudioPipe's knob wasn't bass bosst, it was a remote gain.

Also, AudioPipe's Bass Boost is adjustable which is rather nice.

Set it to 80hz and add about 1-2db boost to make up for the lack of midbass. :rofl:

if you want to ruin the balance of the song, sure... turn that knob up

i do not play anything i have not altered unless its songs i dont care about loudness, like most of the underground hiphop i listen to

i stick to my comment, a knob is not for compensating for 99% of people because they wont be able to pick the frequency of the song that needs boosting... not to mention that a small boost of midbass is enough to put them beyong excursion capabilities

like lil wayne said... im just smokin and bobbin my head to my songs... period

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

i have a audioque AQ1200D an the boost knob has clipping light/indicator so i can use it just fine right? i dont usually turn it up but when i do if i see the light i cut it back a bit.

and whats are some amps that have a remote knob?

okay so when i tune it with a dmm ill have the knob at +18 lol and leave the freq boost at 0? i just wanna juse the knob ebcause if you dont the bass booost stays at 0/0

Steve I don't know why but everytime I see your new paint I want a Dr. Pepper...... is this normal?

heres an analogy for you. running a high power stereo without a fuse is like having unprotected sex with that hot chick at the bar with the sketchy sexual history. Sure you may be fine and nothing happens but that one time something does happen you're fucked.

i dont want woofer broke like bass sound clip clip and voice coil overheat

2 sa12s, saz1500 build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/91183-chapo123s-sundown-build-log/page__gopid__1250604entry1250604

1j1450.png

This has been a sweet read, and the pix with the oscope i think will really show people what you guys are talking about.

As far as some of you guys getting your answers, I mean Decaf and others have answered those same ?'s like ten times already in this thread. Just read it and at least take a min or two to understand.

Knobs aside, maybe someone can make sense of something for me. I understand what an EQ is and what the settings do on the HU. But I have never understood for the life of me even after googling WTF does Loudness do?

In my system, gains are set EQ is flat, loudness off and its plenty loud. and iirc loudness = bad so ive always left it off but what is the definition of loudness?

Also, as someone else has asked, is the sub level something that can generally be maxed or only on Alpine?

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

This has been a sweet read, and the pix with the oscope i think will really show people what you guys are talking about.

As far as some of you guys getting your answers, I mean Decaf and others have answered those same ?'s like ten times already in this thread. Just read it and at least take a min or two to understand.

Knobs aside, maybe someone can make sense of something for me. I understand what an EQ is and what the settings do on the HU. But I have never understood for the life of me even after googling WTF does Loudness do?

In my system, gains are set EQ is flat, loudness off and its plenty loud. and iirc loudness = bad so ive always left it off but what is the definition of loudness?

Also, as someone else has asked, is the sub level something that can generally be maxed or only on Alpine?

loudness = adding dbs to all levels on ur eq... its hard to say without time and a computer program if the addition is even across all frequencies but thats what i always thought it did

like loudness 1 =+3db, loudness 2=+6db and so on... but thats my take on it

as far as sublevel... pioneers dont need much of a boost... my jvc needs to be maxed out, alpines need to be maxed

a simple way to tell is if you have a 4volt headunit and have to turn ur gain to 3/4 or more u likely need to turn the sublevel up to get more voltage, then adjust the gain down

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Archived