Through the MSDN-AA site (it's through your school) you can get Win 7 Pro (as well as a few other MS OSs and dev. tools) for free (everything I looked at was).

For that though, you have to be in a college/university that's partnered with them AND (if I'm understanding correctly) in a field related to technology. Comp Sci, BSAT, maths, etc. I know I was emailed about it with my log in information, so I'd assume if you qualify, they would do the same wherever you are.

The other option is to go through a MS site that's set up like the ultimate steal is/was. This way it's $29.

A link to a site discussing the legitamacy of the $30 deal.

I don't know if this was discussed already. I didn't see anything about it (though I didn't look very hard) so I figured I'd post it anyway.

Edited by BJD3

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Ah, I love being at a school dedicated to science/engineering etc. Ive been running a legit copy of 7 since a few days after I got here. (before that I was running the RC)

There are 5 steps to the download process and my computer has been downloading for 58 minutes and is only at 20% of the 3rd stage. It hasn't even gotten to the actual installion step yet. WTF

now it says 578mb of 30000mb expanded. Greattttttt

I'm at Northeastern studying Computer Science. Our school has major hook-ups with Microsoft, and I'm currently running a FREE AND LEGAL copy of Windows 7 downloaded through my school's site. One catch: it expires in 5 years, meaning it stops getting automatic updates unless I buy a retail copy. The SECOND bonus: I got free tickets to the Windows 7 launch premiere tomorrow where I get a FREE retail copy. I love my school. =)

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

There are 5 steps to the download process and my computer has been downloading for 58 minutes and is only at 20% of the 3rd stage. It hasn't even gotten to the actual installion step yet. WTF

now it says 578mb of 30000mb expanded. Greattttttt

Yeah...stop waiting for it to download. It will take forever. Just leave it overnight, and when you come tomorrow morning, burn the .iso, and install.

The actual install shouldn't take that long though. Should be around 30ish minutes (took about that long every time I installed the RC).

As for 7 itself, I love it. It is EXTREMELY light. I had it running (however slowly) on an old low end P4 machine with like 512 megs of ram, and it would chug along. Just don't expect it to do more than be a file server though (which is what I was doing with it). The only reason it came down was because the PSU finally went to the big tech pile in the sky.

But I'm WAAAY off topic.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert