battery bulge...why? :(

Sealed batteries are under pressure as they charge. A slight bulge of the ends of a battery is not a huge problem, just a sign to be careful of the combination of heat and charge voltage. If heat is extraordinarily high, I would recommend shielding them from the heat, or decreasing the charge voltage while they are hot.

It's easy to get into a thermal runaway situation... if battery capacity is low, as you re-charge the battery will get hot... combine this with high engine temps, and the temp can get away from you quickly... the hotter it gets, the more pliable the plastic becomes. If you're not careful you will have a couple of grey and white balloons on your hands :)

I would recommend charging them individually with a good quality AGM battery charger and reinstalling them... should help equalize each cell, and make it easier on the alt, and will create less heat in the battery as the alt charges.

Hope this helps!

How far can they balloon before they are dangerous?

Out of all 13 kinetiks I run the only one with a slight bulge is in the motor bay on the side closest to motor. All my batteries take a 15.6-15.7 start up charge and 15.3-15.4 hot running charge voltage and have no bulges. I see alot just due to engine heat which is not a big deal. Just check your resting voltage from time to time. If your resting voltage drops below 12.6-12.7v then separate them and check individually to find the weak one.

MLA

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

some batteries bulge from not being able to vent... but those are sealed batteries.. .so wouldn't make sense in that case... unless they got really hot

Team sundownWESTCOASTSPL.COM we're throwing dbdrag events very soon visit the website for details

Sealed batteries are under pressure as they charge. A slight bulge of the ends of a battery is not a huge problem, just a sign to be careful of the combination of heat and charge voltage. If heat is extraordinarily high, I would recommend shielding them from the heat, or decreasing the charge voltage while they are hot.

It's easy to get into a thermal runaway situation... if battery capacity is low, as you re-charge the battery will get hot... combine this with high engine temps, and the temp can get away from you quickly... the hotter it gets, the more pliable the plastic becomes. If you're not careful you will have a couple of grey and white balloons on your hands :)

I would recommend charging them individually with a good quality AGM battery charger and reinstalling them... should help equalize each cell, and make it easier on the alt, and will create less heat in the battery as the alt charges.

Hope this helps!

Out of all 13 kinetiks I run the only one with a slight bulge is in the motor bay on the side closest to motor. All my batteries take a 15.6-15.7 start up charge and 15.3-15.4 hot running charge voltage and have no bulges. I see alot just due to engine heat which is not a big deal. Just check your resting voltage from time to time. If your resting voltage drops below 12.6-12.7v then separate them and check individually to find the weak one.

MLA

ahhh thank you both! :) (and everyone else) i'll double check the voltage. and i'll try to put some kind of shield in between the batts and the engine. i was just unsure if i should be more worried than i was lol. dont want an explosion driving down the highway or somethin. thanks again :)

ahhh thank you both! :) (and everyone else) i'll double check the voltage. and i'll try to put some kind of shield in between the batts and the engine. i was just unsure if i should be more worried than i was lol. dont want an explosion driving down the highway or somethin. thanks again :)

what is all in your set up?

2 sundown 3500D's @ .5 ohms. stock speakers for now. gotta get my alt repaired :( and when i rebuild my box i'll be able to fit my extra batteries in the back again. i dont really crank it as it is now tho. i play it on the safe side.

Archived