Second Skin Audio

3/4" MDF enough??

you will be much happier with birch ply if you are comfortable your enclosure design is proper. Birch ply is stronger and WAYYYY lighter than MDF of the same thickness, and its most likely only a few dollars more in your area. the weight savings alone is worth the switch.

and if you have any problems with bracing use some threaded rod :)

DCAUDIO

BALLS DEEP

really? at my local lowes the birch was almost double the mdf?

Yea, its more the a "few dollars" more. Around here it is about twice as much as MDF but its worth the addition cost IMHO (stronger, lighter, and a lot easier to work with). A single layer of 3/4" will be fine as long as you use double layer on the baffle.

Edited by X2.H10.V4

Yea, its more the a "few dollars" more. Around here it is about twice as much as MDF but its worth the addition cost IMHO (stronger, lighter, and a lot easier to work with). A single layer of 3/4" will be fine as long as you use double layer on the baffle.

okay ya i was planning on flush mounting anyways so that works out. i jus wish it wasnt so expensive

02 Chevy Trailblazer

18" DC XL

build in progress...

l_02f0e56b9a6f7e5ceaab56ccb8632161.jpg

minnesota-vikings.jpg

refs: ak1167 (bought tweeters from)

you will be much happier with birch ply if you are comfortable your enclosure design is proper. Birch ply is stronger and WAYYYY lighter than MDF of the same thickness, and its most likely only a few dollars more in your area. the weight savings alone is worth the switch.

and if you have any problems with bracing use some threaded rod :)

hmm I didn't know that. Well I know what material I'm going to start using from now on for my builds

2003 CHEVY TRAILBLAZER

AKA The Batmobile

Pioneer 6000UB

Sundown SAZ-3000D

2 Audio Q HDC3's

40' of 1/0 Gauge

2 Big Rear Batteries

A 38 HZ Box

KICK ASS!

meh. i dont like building using birch. maybe it's just the quality i had, but i dont like how it splinters. and then i get splinters lol. i like the ease of work with mdf. rounding mdf over comes out smoother as well. i dont really care much about weight tho :)

oh, and brace your box as well. you'll be much better off if you do

just so you know, getting the sub in and out of a flush mounted hole is a pain in the ass. i did it once and ill never make a box like that again.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

exactly, once you get a finger caught in that hole, trying to take that 70lbs woofer out...

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.