Some Nightshade ZX3 Flex!!!!!

Brewer, I'd expect close to if not a 149 with the Sundown in there. What freq are you tuned to and what are you burping at? Have you added any deadener and if not I can tell you where to put it in the car that's helped me out quite a bit. If you want any tips with the car at all you know who to call. As of right now I can't find another louder Focus in the WORLD. That's right I said the WORLD, but there's more than likely one out there only because I'm not really running a lot of power. I could easily drop another 5K watts on my sub and gain at least 2 db and maybe even get to a 155 which would make it still the loudest to my knowledge.

I'll try for a few new vids this weekend. Maybe a few with the new qlogic kicks that I'll have here tomorrow. Finally I won't drown out the high's when the bass is full tilt. I really want my DC alt to show up to so my voltage is straight. Rob tells me it will be done soon so I'll continue to wait patiently for it and be thankful when it gets in.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

i have deadened the shit out of the front doors, the complete rear hatch, a little bit on the rear quarters and a good bit on the floor of the trunk and under the rear seats. front doors sound like vault doors.

box is tuned to 34 and car was peaking at 43 with windows down and 49 with windows up.

my highest was a 145 sealed at right around 50 HZ

edit: these scores were with an RE SX 12" off of an audioque 1200D

with no testing i did a 144.8 with the 18 but the tuning was really low

You have everything deadened that I have have and then maybe a little more. Here's what I have done both front doors with 2 layers of Dynamat Extreme and a little bit of Second Skin Damp Pro, the rear hatch is done in a layer, the spare tire well and the floor of the hatch is done, the quarter panels are done in a layer, and that is pretty much it. Right around 50hz for a single 12 sounds about right. I burp at 52 with a single 15 but I'm more than likely tuned higher on my burp box then you are with that 12 you had. I can't wait to see what your car meters now cause I'd think in the high 140's and you may even squeek out a 150. The resonant frequency of the cars tend to be around 48-54hz so if you tune around 5-8hz below what the resonant freq is you should hit it right about where your peak is at. In my car the peak is 52 so I'm tuned to 46 for spl and it works out great.

I will tell you this with sub up and port up it is not quite the best combination for the vehicle. In my own tests I had 2 12's with both sub and woofer up and did a 145.7 off of 1800 watts with the box tuned to 32hz, but I was burping all the way up at 50hz. I know that wasn't correct but I never did get on a TL to figure out the exact peak of that box. So I switched to sub up and port back and gained right off the bat at the same frequency I did a 147.1 with the box being tuned to 40hz. There may have been a combination of things that helped. I've found that sub up port back is loud, sub back port up is louder, and sub up port to the driver's side is probably the loudest. I think that maybe a crx box with sub foward and port back would work well if I were to try one, but I just haven't got around to it yet. I've seen a crx tube in a zx3 with a single 12 off of a Memphis 4K do a 150.5 on the dash so there is potential.

Like I said let me know if you want some help. Maybe we can exchange numbers and talk on the phone instead of all this typing.

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion

You have everything deadened that I have have and then maybe a little more. Here's what I have done both front doors with 2 layers of Dynamat Extreme and a little bit of Second Skin Damp Pro, the rear hatch is done in a layer, the spare tire well and the floor of the hatch is done, the quarter panels are done in a layer, and that is pretty much it. Right around 50hz for a single 12 sounds about right. I burp at 52 with a single 15 but I'm more than likely tuned higher on my burp box then you are with that 12 you had. I can't wait to see what your car meters now cause I'd think in the high 140's and you may even squeek out a 150. The resonant frequency of the cars tend to be around 48-54hz so if you tune around 5-8hz below what the resonant freq is you should hit it right about where your peak is at. In my car the peak is 52 so I'm tuned to 46 for spl and it works out great.

I will tell you this with sub up and port up it is not quite the best combination for the vehicle. In my own tests I had 2 12's with both sub and woofer up and did a 145.7 off of 1800 watts with the box tuned to 32hz, but I was burping all the way up at 50hz. I know that wasn't correct but I never did get on a TL to figure out the exact peak of that box. So I switched to sub up and port back and gained right off the bat at the same frequency I did a 147.1 with the box being tuned to 40hz. There may have been a combination of things that helped. I've found that sub up port back is loud, sub back port up is louder, and sub up port to the driver's side is probably the loudest. I think that maybe a crx box with sub foward and port back would work well if I were to try one, but I just haven't got around to it yet. I've seen a crx tube in a zx3 with a single 12 off of a Memphis 4K do a 150.5 on the dash so there is potential.

Like I said let me know if you want some help. Maybe we can exchange numbers and talk on the phone instead of all this typing.

yea. the only reason i like the sub up port up is because for daily it eliminates all rattles

i did a small box with a 12 which was sub and port towards the passenger side and it did a 145 even off of about 700 watts.

i think that is the best setup for our car that i have found but once you start shoving an 18 with a 7 cube box back there it limits the possibilities. :pardon:

i think i might try a 3k nightshade 15 with that same type of box (sub and port toward passenger tub) and could most likely get away with it since the nightshades don't require a huge box.

as far as tuning upwards of 40 HZ goes, i don't really care for it since i like a daily box that gets loud but can still play the lows very musically.

i might build my next box with removable ports though just so i can change back and forth between daily and spl in a couple of minutes.

anyway, did you get your ALT in yet?

No alt yet man. Should have something this week for sure though. I know it's just going to be a pain in the ass to install. I have a friend lined up that said he can do it, and if that doesn't work out I have a shop that said it would be $160 to install it for me, but I'll probably need a new belt so I'd say close to $200 :( It's gonna drain me cause I'm going to try to make my show this weekend and I will DEFINATELY be at the show in High Point, NC on the 22nd or I'm quiting competing.

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

its not hard to do. you should be able to get it done

are you a member on focusfanatics (dot) com?

i'm over on that site everyonce in a while. they have some good people that know what they're doing over there

or focaljet (dot) com

both good sites that could run you through installing the alt step by step.

would save yourself alot of money and know that its done right.

its not hard to do. you should be able to get it done

are you a member on focusfanatics (dot) com?

i'm over on that site everyonce in a while. they have some good people that know what they're doing over there

or focaljet (dot) com

both good sites that could run you through installing the alt step by step.

would save yourself alot of money and know that its done right.

Thanks for the advice. Ima check it out over there. My buddy that's going to help me with the install has never done a Focus ZX3 before either so it could be fun. I was surprised when the shop told me $160 to do it. That's a bit on the expensive side for an alt install, but if it's as much work as I think it is then I guess I can see why it's going to be that much.

I'm going to pm you my # so we can talk sometime.

On another note I hope to have a few vids made tomorrow. My wife will be home and I hope to use her hair for a hairtrick vid. I'll attempt to get one of those and whatever else I can come up with. Maybe I'll go and get the Tech9 cd that Logan suggested and bump that. I can't wait for the alt, cause it's gonna be badass. I also have some pics of the qlogic kicks and will do an install thread for them over in the qlogic section.

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

• 2 weeks later...

Archived