Second Skin Audio

Smaller vs. Bigger

I was wondering what the differences were if you were to go with a box as big as a company says to go, or as small as a company says to go? how will it affect a woofer? like if a company says ported-1.75-2.5...which would perform better? any input appreciated...anymore info or explaining what i mean better ill try...didnt know how to go about askng this!

2002 Chevrolet Silverado regular cab 3/6 drop

-Alpine cda-9884

-Rockford Fosgate Power 6.5's

-US Amps XT-4000DE V2

-Fi SSD 10d2-for now

Bigger box generally will increase efficiency and smaller decrease it.

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

there is a minimum and a maximum in which the woofer works well. towards the minimum, output and low end extension (ability to hit low lows) is usually hindered. power handling is increased though. on the larger side, the box is more effecient (louder with the same power) and there is more potential for hitting the lows, at the sacrifice of some control and "crispness", but mechanical power handeling is also decreased.

its all a tradeoff and you have to chose whats right for you. if you dont know split the difference. if its being overpowered go near the min. if you have alot of room/really know what your doing/want all out spl/cant ever power it properly go for max. otherwise you'll fall somewhere in the middle.

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

what do you mean pushing it? ok haha just caught that...thats what i was wondering. this box likes to hit certain notes and after that it drops of really quickly on both sides of that...thats kinda what i was trying to get at...if making the box a little larger would help make it better overall on response.

Edited by 99s10dowork

2002 Chevrolet Silverado regular cab 3/6 drop

-Alpine cda-9884

-Rockford Fosgate Power 6.5's

-US Amps XT-4000DE V2

-Fi SSD 10d2-for now

yes, a larger box generally can have a flatter response. check out a program called WinISD, it lets you play with box size/port size/and your specific woofer to determine the like mathmatical response of your woofer in an open air environment. you can smooth peaks and see how the box performs before building it (it even recognizes a DB gain from a new design, so you can play around before cutting wood)

just keep in mind that cabin gain comes into play, so the idealized open-air calculations can really go to hell in a vehicle.

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC