Second Skin Audio

Audio Shop Guy

I know, uh. I stopped because he had hooked my friend up with some free wire and offered to solder on connections and put it in the box for him at no charge...

Didn't really want him to change his mind because my buddy was flat broke after that

(1)Fi BTL 15

(1)AQ 2200d

4.33 Cubes~33hz

Big Three done

XS 1200 in the back

i tune mine from 32-36 myself so i would say hes wrong. A ported box tuned to 50 would sound like dogshit to me. ESPECIALLY 60hz LOL.

Thats what I told the guy that I would want the box to be tuned to, but, like I said, that wasn't gonna happen!

yea, unless he is building one note wonders that are burp machines, he is basically ignorant

Yeah, there was no changing his mind

Ok here is what you do. First go back to the store and ask for the same guy and as soon as he comes out, take one of his 55-60hz ported boxes and proceed to beat the shit out of him.

Second step, when he regaines conciousness proceed to beat the shit out of him again with the same said box.

That should do the trick nicely.

Haha, he did have a couple of 1" MDF boxes

^^^^ no idea what you just said....

you oughta write up a tutorial on proper bandpass design tho!! I think that'd be real helpful.

To add my own $.02 to this thread, I was talking to a local shop owner about designing boxes, and he said he didn't even really know how to design a tuned box! He just said he had always done what sounded best, and had kinda got it to a point where it sounded good over the years. I have no idea where his boxes are actually tuned though.

There actually is a shop on the other side of town that I had a guy tell me the same thing. Just like the kids that like to make their own boxes in my town, you'd ask them about tuning and they would get the weirdest look on their faces.

hahaha , ive heard on many occaisons , oh 30hz is too low , should be around 50 .

i just nod and smile , no use in arguing , they gonna beat you with their stupidity anyways :D

very true.

that guy is a dumbass. prefab boxes are crap

Yeah, no doubt!

(1)Fi BTL 15

(1)AQ 2200d

4.33 Cubes~33hz

Big Three done

XS 1200 in the back

you oughta write up a tutorial on proper bandpass design tho!! I think that'd be real helpful.

i have always wanted to do a bandpass box and if what you are saying is true about the 20-80 Hz with clean sound, i would love to try my own! all ive ever heard about them is negative things

Edited by bigg_will

2002 Chevy Blazer 2 door

1-18" Fi BTL, 1 T2000.1bd, 8 ft box before displacement tuned to 33Hz, Big 3 done in 1/0

Havent been metered yet

60 hz lol....id like to hear 4 btl 18's hittin 150 deebeez at 60 hz lol

i was thinking leave the 12 sitting in the box in the hole and duck tape from the bottom of the sub to the bottom of the baffle so the sub doesnt free air. would that work?

Most bass that you hear in songs starts at 40 hz or so, it's hard to find songs that go any lower than that. Which is why most sub manufacturers recommend a tuning of around 39 hz. (at least, theyre "recommended box plans" are nearly always tuned to 39 hz)

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

i live in northern california about 2 hours north of san fransico and one of my local shops in santa rosa who sells mostly jl and maybe a few other companies i got in a huge argument with one of the sales men we were practicly screaming at eachother he was saying that it was not possible to tune a ported box he kept telling me that you can put a port in a box but you cant tune it this guy was a idiot he also thinks w7 boat anchors are the best built thing under the sun he said my 9900 was some cheap built woofer when he heard the name digital designs of course never hearing of it he automaticly assumed it was some digital audio audiobahn crap when that is defintly not the case i just walked out santa rosa cartronics will not get my business or anyone i know i cannot stand shops that have a attitude and think that they already know everything

Most bass that you hear in songs starts at 40 hz or so, it's hard to find songs that go any lower than that. Which is why most sub manufacturers recommend a tuning of around 39 hz. (at least, theyre "recommended box plans" are nearly always tuned to 39 hz)

i would say that was true for that late 80's, early 90's type of bass......but things are different now. If your bumping todays rap music especially music that is based around deep bass, then 30-35 is the magic number to tune too.

On the Bandpass thing, if it was "tuned" to 60hz it was probably something like a 60/30 combo because thats what BP boxes do. They have 2 frequencys that they "roll off" at which is what gives it its name to begin with. A sealed box hardly rolls off at all, stays flat (if its correct), a ported box rolls off at the lower end and a bp box rolls off at the low end and the top end. Thats the only way a BP box "tuned" to 60 could sound good on music. A SPL bandpass box would peak hard at 60 and drop off fast on both ends, therefore would sound like ass. A 60/30 or even 70/40 would sound pretty good really and have a ton of output.....but would need to be designed and built correctly. They are very easy to screw up and you could easily end up with 60, 50, 30 sounding good where 45-49 may not even be there at all (for example). That would be a dip in the frequency response that is not very desireable. I would say most prefab bandpass boxes are like that. Not too too bad for most, and lots of output at 50 but "missing" something when listening to music with different frequencies on the low end. (up and down bass type beats)

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

Ok here is what you do. First go back to the store and ask for the same guy and as soon as he comes out, take one of his 55-60hz ported boxes and proceed to beat the shit out of him.

Second step, when he regaines conciousness proceed to beat the shit out of him again with the same said box.

That should do the trick nicely.

thats some of the most funny shit i have heard all day :D

On the Bandpass thing, if it was "tuned" to 60hz it was probably something like a 60/30 combo because thats what BP boxes do. They have 2 frequencys that they "roll off" at which is what gives it its name to begin with. A sealed box hardly rolls off at all, stays flat (if its correct), a ported box rolls off at the lower end and a bp box rolls off at the low end and the top end. Thats the only way a BP box "tuned" to 60 could sound good on music. A SPL bandpass box would peak hard at 60 and drop off fast on both ends, therefore would sound like ass. A 60/30 or even 70/40 would sound pretty good really and have a ton of output.....but would need to be designed and built correctly. They are very easy to screw up and you could easily end up with 60, 50, 30 sounding good where 45-49 may not even be there at all (for example). That would be a dip in the frequency response that is not very desireable. I would say most prefab bandpass boxes are like that. Not too too bad for most, and lots of output at 50 but "missing" something when listening to music with different frequencies on the low end. (up and down bass type beats)

So for the design aspect, would you essentially design two ported boxes, one tuned at 30 and one at 60? I'm guessing it has to be more complicated than that to get a flat response curve...

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall