Both amps have blown up, no idea what's going on WTF!!

I've been running MTX's THUNDER ELITE 1501D for the past couple years. Got it from a buddy who worked at Circuit City before they closed. Great amp in my opinion, until about 6 months ago when i was blowing them up left and right. The first time turned out to be the output modules snapping off the board, which was apparently a common problem with the board. I wrote it off and said whatever just fix it. It ran fine after that, beating the hell out of a pair of Rockford Fosgate Power T1 12s. Mind you i had a stock alternator and 2 yellow top batteries with the kicker 1/0, so it wasn't seeing a constant 14.4, probably somewhere in the realm of 12.9-13.3 on a good day. I was always worried it would blow from too low voltage.

Than the time came for me to build my truck up the right way (pics to come once i get the amp back, again lol). Bought myself a 200 amp Powermaster Alternator, got me another pair of T1 12s to make it 4, bought a second 1501D to have a matching pair and built a beastly box. Well guess what, one amp blew up. Turns out i had the input signal button on the amp set wrong and it was working too hard with too high of a input voltage from the headunit. Said screw it i'll send the blown one in to get fixed, cut my losses and sell the working one and buy a new amp. Got the amp fixed and had it put away for a bit, i didn't have a box for just a pair of 12s anymore, the old ones were absolute junk. MTX gave me a refurbed amp with a new shell so i figured it was new. Finally got around to building another box and threw the amp in the truck, but now i was able to add a pair of Kinetik HC2400 powercells from Thor and really get my voltage to stick around 14.4, where an amp likes to be, or so i thought.

About 20 minutes into playing with the new enclosure (once again, pics to come), the amp blows up again. Turns out it was a new amp they gave me which had the same problem as my original, the output modules snapped off again. I said screw it, i'm done. Threw the amp in the packing box and it disappeared in my closet. A month later after i couldn't make up my mind about what new amp i wanted, i dug out the heap of junk in my closet and sent it in. Called them and said i want a new amp that won't break. They said ok but we'll give you a TA7801, it's a more reliable amp. I sent in the blown 1501D which turned out to be a melted power supply again. The guys at MTX said my electrical was "Too Good". They said after the 1501D came out, there was a rash of blown amps coming in because people weren't upgrading their electrical to accommodate the amp's need for a consistant 14.4 volts. They modded the amp to be "happy" around 12.8 volts, which was average in a daily driver with factory alternator and one battery, according to them. They said the 7801 could stand up to the voltage better. EHHH!! I proved them wrong again, melted power supply, but this time it took an hour of play time lol.

Sent the amp in again and asked to speak to the manager. He hooked me up with free shipping of the blown amp, had the engineering department mod my amp to a higher voltage and they tested it for a few extra days, simulating what i have in my truck on their bench tester. I finally get the amp back, a brand spanking new TE1501D, in all it's piano black finish glory, praying that it'll stand up to the correct voltage.

You guessed it, it blew up. Not sure what it is since it happened last night, but i'm assuming it didn't like the voltage yet again. I called MTX, raging bull in a china shop style and left a couple nasty messages. Got a call back from the manager again, who's become my good friend from this ordeal. Turns out the engineers were happy for this amp to blow up, they said it was the board for their new 2010 line of amps. I wasn't too happy but they made up for it.

They are again paying for the shipping back, giving me a new amp to play with and see if it likes my voltage while they test and mod another amp to see what could be fixed. Now remember back at the beginning when i said i had 2 amps in my truck? Well the guys at MTX, after feeling bad for my troubles, have decided they are going to send me a second 1501D free of charge, after making sure it'll stand up to my electrical. I couldn't be more stoked, almost like an unofficial guinea pig i guess, but hell i'll take a free amp any day lol Figured i'd tell you guys my story, see what ya'll think of it. But i'm a fan of MTX for life, provided these new amps actually stand up and perform lol

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own
4 - 18" lvl 6s (m3) w/full Carbon Fiber option

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor

On 8/2/2013 at 8:13 PM, n8ball2013 said:

this is much worse. Its old n8 without the time or patience to hold fucking hands. I'm supposed to be doing school work but yet here i am making sure jr fuck fuck isn't trying to poke the other kids with a stick.

Nice for you with the free 1501, sounds like MTX has a shortage of properly built vehicles at their disposal and you get to be like you said an unofficial guinea pig... But in return you get a few new toys to play with so sounds like a fair deal for your time/troubles.

CABCopyright.png

88-98 GM Full Size Forum www.GMT400.com

i put fuses on power wires, and condoms on fuses, to keep the fuses safe!

lol after all you've been through, i thought you were going to say you were never going with mtx again

Alpine 9886

Polk Audio 6.5 Component db series

Elemental Designs nine.4

JL Audio 1000/1

DC Lvl 4 15" - 3.95 cu ft/tuned to 32 hz

Clarion EQS746

Stinger Voltage Meter

Optima Yellow Top (Front)

XS Power 1200 (Rear)

All KnuKonceptz Wiring

They are again paying for the shipping back, giving me a new amp to play with and see if it likes my voltage while they test and mod another amp to see what could be fixed. Now remember back at the beginning when i said i had 2 amps in my truck? Well the guys at MTX, after feeling bad for my troubles, have decided they are going to send me a second 1501D free of charge, after making sure it'll stand up to my electrical. I couldn't be more stoked, almost like an unofficial guinea pig i guess, but hell i'll take a free amp any day lol Figured i'd tell you guys my story, see what ya'll think of it. But i'm a fan of MTX for life, provided these new amps actually stand up and perform lol

That sounds like it might be worth the patience

If Morgan Freeman narrated a story on how great AIDS is, I would be captivated and tempted to contract it myself. His voice just fills my soul with warm fuzzies and puppy tears.

He has NO idea and may have a touch of autism to be honest.

Is this guy real or is he joking? i actually mistook him for a lesbian in that demo video

Wanted to mess around with a box for the garage. Was thinking 4 6x9 in 4 cube at like 30 hz...

These are the things that make me lol

lol after all you've been through, i thought you were going to say you were never going with mtx again

My phone call today was originally to tell them just send me a reimbursement check for the amp because i wanted to go with another company, but when they said they'd give me the second amp for free i said well i guess i could be a bit more patient lol

Man... sounds like a pretty crazy run of bad luck. Honestly if 1 more blows up I'd be pretty leery about something in the install doing it.

That's what i was thinking too, but i went back and looked through everything, i can't find one thing wrong with the way it's setup. I have an MLA in the truck, but it's not hooked up and i tested the voltage at full tilt and it won't go below 13.8 even with the headlights and defroster and wipers going

with that kind of luck blowing amps left and right, i'd be through with MTX

I guess i'm too stubborn lol

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor

this is much worse. Its old n8 without the time or patience to hold fucking hands. I'm supposed to be doing school work but yet here i am making sure jr fuck fuck isn't trying to poke the other kids with a stick.

Definition of Insanity - Trying the Same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Yeah yeah yeah lol most of my friends call me insane, oh well haha

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor

id be checking your grounds if i were you, also since it sounds like you got some money buy an oscope and set the gains...

Pioneer 500UB

1 LVL4 15" 4.3cubes tuned to 35HZ

BXi1606D

1/0

Red top in back

JBL 5 1/4's front

Infinity Kappa 6 1/2's rear

145.7 Legal on music New Audio Control

Archived